Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Need advice on chorea and broken furniture

Posted by Jayyaeg 
Need advice on chorea and broken furniture
January 02, 2014 06:28PM
My step sister is 40, lives in a nursing home and despite being on xenazine, has severe chorea. My Dad is wondering if any of you have suggestions for them. She keeps breaking her wheelchair, her recliners, toilet seats etc. She comes home with them frequently for weekends and my Dad has replaced 3 toilet seats and a couple of recliners. Do any of you have experience with weighted blankets or vests? I remember one of my hospice patients getting some contol with these.
Re: Need advice on chorea and broken furniture
January 02, 2014 08:44PM
Not much advice on the broken toilet seats other than buy cheap and keep replacing them. I try and put my hand on the back of my husbands neck and lean his head forward when he sits down as this helps with the "plopping down". I have given up on traditional furniture and bought one of these for him to sit in. He likes it.

[www.amazon.com]
January 02, 2014 08:44PM
Not much advice on the broken toilet seats other than buy cheap and keep replacing them. I try and put my hand on the back of my husbands neck and lean his head forward when he sits down as this helps with the "plopping down". I have given up on traditional furniture and bought one of these for him to sit in. He likes it.

[www.amazon.com]
January 02, 2014 09:14PM
Thanks i will pass that on. It looks like a great idea.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login