Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

How to get sister to see doctor about HD

Posted by tinydriver 
How to get sister to see doctor about HD
December 26, 2013 11:12AM
My mother passed away with HD in March of 2012. My sister is 48 and has been showing
signs of HD for a few years; but, has really had severe signs (moods swings especially)
since my mother's passing. I can't convince her to go to a doctor. She won't listen and
refuses my help. Her husband has abandoned her but won't divorce her. Can I legally
become her primary caregiver or power of attorney or guardian while she is still
legally married even though he has not lived with her in over 3 years. I hate to say
this; but, I at a point to where the loving sibling has got to get a bit rough so I can
help her in the long run. My father was wonderful to my mom. He is the best dad.
He is older so I feel I need to be the main person for my sister. My dad helps the best
he can. It hurts to see his child going thru what his wife suffered thru. We know now
what to do. We just have to convince my sister without making her feel like this
is the end for her. It's not. I appreciate any advice or words of wisdom. Thank you.
VRE
Re: How to get sister to see doctor about HD
December 26, 2013 11:31AM
take a look at posts from chriss6007-you may also PM her. I think she has had to do some of this. She may have some of the answers to your questions and help you to find the right path for you and your family. Not gonna be easy, but I think you can accomplish what you need to. You are going to have to go to court and may need to get an attorney who specializes in Elder Care. I wish you luck and glad she has someone willing to do whatever it takes to do the best for your sister.
Vicky

Vicky
December 26, 2013 11:57AM
Thank you. Glad there are people out there I can talk to about HD. Because it is not a
well known disease, people tend to think the person is just mean, crazy, or on drugs.
They don't know how to react. It is hard for her to keep friends. I am not ashamed of
the disease. She did not do drugs, drink alcohol, have promiscuous sex, etc. to get
this disease. I have no problem explaining the disease to the uninformed public. People
know way more about drugs, alcohol, and STD's than they do about conditions
brought on by diseases not caused due to self abuse. Sorry...I am venting. I will try to
read all the posts. I saw the person you wrote about. Good info on this site.
December 29, 2013 11:47PM
Hi,
I am going through almost the same exact thing! E-mail me. I had a rough start but can try and help you.
Christine
Chriss6007@comcast.net
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login