Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

New again

Posted by Yogamom 
New again
December 22, 2013 04:49PM
Hi, i wrote on here zears ago. And now <i am back, tzping from a <german kezboard as we are visiting family in <nuremberg. My husband is 49, and at risk. His mom, who was German, had the disease and died in 1995. Before we came to Germany my mom came to visit us from out of state. She very much noticed his head movements and how he walked and his anger outbursts getting worse. Now we are here and his cousin, who knew their grandfather who probably had it (but he was diagnosed with MS) and he says joe very much reminds him of his grandad. When they went running together, he said there was a very big difference from when they last went running together here, in 1999. He said he seemed off balance quite a bit. His aunt says his movements very much remind her of her sister, his mom. My DH does not want to get tested, but I am seeing early signs. Now other family members are confirming this. He would lose his job if they knew. But he has just one year until he is eligible to retire. <(He is in law enforcement.) We live in the Dallas metroplex and I am interested in learning about support groups here. Also, is there any reason to begin on medication early. That is a question but I cant find the question mark on the German keyboard. I am 45 and a <SAHM to our 10 and 12 year old children. I also teach yoga, and I know yoga can be very helpful. Thank you. I would love to hear from others.
Re: New again
December 22, 2013 10:12PM
Hi New Again,
You may need to ask a Dr that question. If he starts meds it will slow his movements. I don't believe there is any help to starting them early. But he if he does start the meds given his job, they may place him in danger. Check the HDSA.org for support groups. Try e-mailing a few Doctors as well. I did that with a Dr Bird thats on the west coast. He was awesome and answered anything I asked. Good luck, and maybe yoga may help him. They do relaxation and mediation in the unit my sister is in.
December 25, 2013 04:27PM
Hi New Again. I think I remember you posting. Glad to hear from you but not for the reason you have to post.

I can understand the job dilemma and you are probably correct about the outcome. Balance is a one of many issues that can show early. Progression is different for just about everyone. Without a Doctor testing there is no way to know. Before testing and if you can, take care of yourself and get a good disability insurance in place. Hopefully he can (safely) make it to retirement without being forced out.

The anger outburst may or may not be HD nor the balance issues. You just don't really know without it. I think genetic testing is the way to confirm diagnosis. As my Neuro told me they have been diagnosing HD for decades without genetic testing.

Talk to us we will listen.

I would like to know more about yoga and HD personally.

Good Luck,

Mike
December 26, 2013 11:13PM
We also live in the Dallas area and attend a support group in Plano Texas, would love to see you come. We meet on Monday nights once a month! Very helpful to hear others going through the same types of things.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login