Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

my service dog Aslana

Posted by dustyblues 
my service dog Aslana
December 12, 2013 11:06PM
35 years ago my sister died on 17 November 1978, . Aslana my beloved hearing ear dog who went evry where with me from the top of Mount waashington to the ocean to jimmies party. her last trip was to Montreal to visit my brother in the veteram hospital. my broher was so happy to hold her and the nurses lifted her for the other patients who love dogs. my grandkids were here friday night, when Aslana seem to pee alot but she had a bladder infection Ross took her back to the vets because she seemed discombulated, vet thought she was alright and you have to pay $600 at the emerge vet clinic, i was so glad i did not have the kids on saturday because she had grand mal after rand mal, her hind legs were like windmills all niht but i think she was paralysed. i looked up epilelesy in dogs and one article said ice her spine from lumbar almosst her shoulders so Ross ggot a b ag of ice. Ross went to bed for while, i stayed up. i rolled her on her side and the ice allowed her to go to sleep. When Ross came back she looked at both f us and died at 5.30. my family came over and we all talked about her, the kids made beatiful pictures for her and she had her first teddy bear. yoou have have a sense of humour, I laid heer on her dirty feet towel that she like to tug.Jonathan is almost as tall as Ross, and the dog was so stif from rigour. and we wrapped her in her towel. the vet said she probably had a brain tumour. I am glad i didnt know because she was 14, but well fed. it was funny because she loved mandorin oranges.i peeled them and we aate them 1 on 1. this year the mandarina werwe ha d. this year sshe didnt egt th+em so I was bawling at walmart.
then we put her on the vets table. given the horrible night she looked much better dead. she was cremated . I still have her working coat.

my sister had a sheltie kennel.that was why i choose Aslana to train as a hearing ear dog. lving in the country having a service dog didn't m,atter, moving to Guelph or aan urban environment she had to be certified which very difficult because the lions do most of the service dogs and set the rules+. long aago i went to the hearing ear dogs of canada to get a dog for Reid but they were not placing with kids tada . our collie was the smartest dog we had and i got a sheltie...i looked for shelties in twowns where Joanie had lived and found Aslana in Brownsburgvery cute 6 weeek puppy.

i'm not too sure about heaven, or reincarnation
but from time to time i wonderedif joanie was in Aslana, then you don think about but Aslana died on Joanies death date 35 years later good for ghost story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2013 11:15PM by dustyblues.
Re: my service dog Aslana
December 13, 2013 12:25AM
Oh Dusty, I'm so VERY sorry. I know how much you loved Aslana, and she loved you too. She was a WONDERFUL companion to you, and I'm so very sorry. That is a very beautiful tribute that you wrote, and I know that Aslana will always be with you, giving you hugs and kisses when you need them. I love you hon
December 13, 2013 08:33AM
Dusty,

I'm also a dog lover and feel your pain. Aslana will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Will
December 13, 2013 09:26AM
I was thinking of you recently because it's been so long since you have posted. Glad to here you are still hanging in but sorry to hear about Aslana. You wrote kind words when I lost my dog and we discussed Aslana at the time. You have my heartfelt sympathies.
Howard
eve
December 13, 2013 10:57AM
Glad to hear from you Dusty, but your words brought tears to my eyes. My dog is getting older too and I can't imagine the pain I will feel when he's gone. I'm happy you had that treasured relationship with your girl.
December 13, 2013 03:06PM
I miss you guys so much but hdac is still my love.it was apull down on explorer and i use firefox, so im staying now. along with HD i also have sjorsen symdrome caused by 7 years of celexa. when i cry there are no tears so people doont know im upset. the ddry mouth affects eatin and swallowing. the dryers were venting in our apaartment , i'm allergic to the laudry room and the hall. nobody can understand me when i talk and having my teeth out i never recovered from. they dont think sppech therapy is necessary to save money. i can still type.

i cannot swim with thefamily because of chlorine allergy but my dream would be a salt water pool with chet and teaching the waterarts met6hod which works well. my mother was able to phone the day she died
December 13, 2013 04:16PM
(((((Dusty))))) Rose
December 15, 2013 11:13AM
Wow Dusty, that's tearful. I'm sorry you lost your companion. She had a great life from the sound of things. We are animal nuts as well. It's tough letting go of one of them as well. They have souls too.

Mike
December 16, 2013 04:37AM
Sorry for your loss Dusty. Take care.
December 17, 2013 02:47PM
Hi Dusty - Just had to say how sorry I was to hear of your loss. Made me tear up a little hear at work. I'm a stage 1 PHD and have a border collie
that has gotten me through some tough day's Like Aslana did for you. Perhaps the new dog can visit someone at the vets home like Aslana did. Shelties
and collies seem happist when they are working to provide a service like Aslana did all her life for you. Sounds like she had a very full and happy life.
To bad they can't bred dogs to live longer. My Border Collie is 12 with really bad arthritis and will need to be put down in the next year or so.
I've followed your post through the years and was glad your still hanging in there!
December 17, 2013 03:38PM
i gave aslana 1 half osteo bi flex triple strength evry day which took her arthritis from living on pain medication which eventually kills them to very llittle arthrtis. her aarthrits was so bad she saaw the water vet in uelph who has underwater treadmill.it was amiracle or i would have lost her at age 9 and she was 13 9 12 when she diedthey have changed the nsme of ostebi flex in canada to osteo bi flex gold.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login