Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Lies,LiesLies

Posted by Chicago_t 
Lies,LiesLies
December 08, 2013 01:27PM
Things have gotten so bad for me that I had to take my daughter and get an apartment for us away from the madness. What really gets to me is after we leave we here through the family that the reason we left was because she made me because I was beating her up! Doesn't make sense to have my daughter live with me if I was abusing my wife! Along with many more lies she is telling.Has anyone else expierienced any off the wall lies that their phd would tell.I'm baffled at this. I never laid a hand on any woman,once again cue the twilight zone music!
Re: Lies,LiesLies
December 08, 2013 07:05PM
This does sometimes happen. Most Phds do not suffer from delusions or hallucinations but some do. As long as your wife is in denial and does not go to a doctor for treatment, I don't know what you can do. Protect yourself as best you can by having a witness if you have to meet with her. I am so sorry you and your wife and daughter are going through this!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2013 07:06PM by Marsha.
December 08, 2013 07:35PM
Thank you for the kind words,Marsha.I don't think it is so much halluciations but more denial and trying to make it look like my fault.
December 09, 2013 12:29PM
I had to call the police one time because my husband wanted to take the car out and I wouldn't let him have the car keys. He grabbed my wallet but couldn't get to the car keys before I was able to grab them. He's not supposed to drive, very high accident risk. When he started hitting me I got out as fast as I could and called the police. This whole incident was because I got takeout hamburgers for him from the wrong fast food place.
Police came and he told them that I was stealing money from him and that I wouldn't give him any cash. Both of those were giant lies. Thankfully, the policeman that helped me was familiar with Huntington's and didn't believe him. They called paramedics to take him to ER instead of hauling him off to jail.
We got his meds changed and the violent outbursts have subsided, but he is still paranoid and delusional at times. Oh, and I never made the mistake of getting the wrong burger again spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
December 09, 2013 01:07PM
Thanks for your reply djcloc,this isn't the first time she has lied but this was a major one.At least I know I'm not the only one.
December 09, 2013 05:05PM
I know the feeling! My wife does not have a diagnosis but I have been told that it could be huntington's Disease as it looks like it. She is so far in denial that she refuses to seek medical attention and tries to blame EVERYTHING on me. She tells monstrous lies about what I am doing, who I am talking to and what I say. She knows it all! She sees my car outside women's houses and the whole town tells her to wake up and smell the coffee! ...do you know what your husband is doing behind your back, etc...yawn, yawn, yawn. She continues to believe that I am telling the kids to hate her and her family, etc...heard it all before! HELP!
JFB
December 09, 2013 07:28PM
the unawareness off symptoms could be one of the symptoms. from [www.uihealthcare.com]
"…suffer from a more recalcitrant lack of insight or self-awareness. They may be unable to recognize their own disabilities or evaluate their own behavior. This type of denial is thought to result from a disruption of the pathways between the frontal regions and the basal ganglia. It is sometimes called "organic denial," or anosognosia, and is a condition that may last a lifetime. We recommend that "unawareness" be used to describe this type of denial in Huntington's disease to distinguish it from the more familiar kind and to avoid thinking of patients with Huntington's disease as suffering from a purely psychological problem."
December 09, 2013 07:38PM
Nalo,I know how you feel.JFB,thanks for the insight. Without wanting to get tested even though HD runs in her family and no support from her family as they continue to sweep this under the rug as I mentioned in my previous posts,I just have to live life day to day and wait and see what happens. It sucks to have this approach but there is no other
way as of right now.
December 11, 2013 10:51AM
Oh boy am I familiar with this one. I could write a book about everything that my phd husband did.
From telling the police I'm sleeping with the township trustees to calling people in the middle of the night and making threats.
He almost burned the house down trying to burn the people out of his mattress. My 'boyfriends' were hiding on the roof,
in the neighbors camper and in the closets.
I educated the local police about HD and when he got so delusional that he became dangerous they stayed with me at the ER
until they convinced the ER Dr. that it was time hospitalization. He spent 3 weeks in the psych unit getting new meds and the
Dr.'s then informed me that he needed to be placed in a nursing home. He has been in the home for 2 years now.
I felt guilty at first but it is the safest thing for him and for the kids and I. He doesn't give the nurses any problems about taking his
meds and the only time we have a problem is if medications get changed. Since we are managing symptoms and not trying to 'cure'
this disease we have to stick with what works.
'He will tell everyone he wants to go home but the truth is he likes his routine now. Meals come at the same time everyday and its quiet.
He definitely suffers from unawareness of symptoms like JFB described. He will tell anyone who will listen that he has no HD symptoms and that I am forcing him to stay in the home.
I don't know how old your daughter is but removing her from the day to day issues is probably the best idea. It helped my girls so much.
People with HD can't 'fool' everyone for too long. Eventually the lies and delusions will get to the point where family and friends will see that there is a problem.
I think you did the right thing. Good luck.
Chris
December 11, 2013 10:58AM
Thank you for the insight Chris,I really appreciate it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login