Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Do HD patients often talk to themselves?

Posted by Jayyaeg 
Do HD patients often talk to themselves?
December 02, 2013 06:09PM
This is one of a large number of symptoms my ex-husband has had and I am just wondering if others have this too? It is usually a kind of mumbling so i usually can't really make out what he is saying. i think this has been going on for several years. It is so weird how symptoms progress so slowly that you don't really even notice them. One day, i watched my ex-husband in Best Buy as a stranger would and was amazed to watch him talking to the various gadgets!
Only on here can I ask these questions. Thanks for this forum!
eve
Re: Do HD patients often talk to themselves?
December 03, 2013 07:24AM
I am not pHD but I talk to myself all the time and to in adament objects! Maybe I'm just weird, but it's always been a habit of mine. But perhaps it's also a symptom of HD. I remember my FIL never used to talk to himself, but the one time whenI was with him while he was driving (which was sort of a nightmare because he would press hard on the gas,then let up completely so the car would surge forward then stop like a jerky motion) he was constantly mumbling. I'm not sure I noticed it too much else, but I didn't live with him. Sometimes I think scientists should read these posts and they could figure out a lot by reading our observations.
December 03, 2013 12:37PM
Jayyaeg,
My wife is in late mid-stage and does talk out loud to herself. It is mostly her giving herself instructions about what to do next. For instance, she may say out loud "Ok" as she grips the chair arm to get up. It is like she is talking to her arms or legs to give them instructions as to what to do next. I think it takes so much effort now for her to move around that she simply says out loud things without knowing that she has said them. When she showers she says her evening prayers and that too is out loud. I have to say that it is pretty touching to hear her offer up her family and friends for God's help when she is the one we are all praying for. Her saying out loud her most intimate thoughts is pretty powerful to be privy too.
December 06, 2013 02:13PM
I talk to myself all the time!!!! Have for years. Even before I had any idea that I had HD!!!
December 08, 2013 06:36AM
J...my HD hubby mumbles to himself, sometimes he mumbles just loud enough so that I can hear him telling me what kind of a (^%$$%^9038370478286657^%%$&%^&&winking smiley I am. I hear him mumbling at the sink or in the refrigerator or on the toilet. I don't know if it is HD related or not. I talk to myself out loud too but the way he does it is much different.

Marlyssa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login