Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Donations

Posted by cj 
cj
Donations
November 19, 2013 04:46PM
Does anyone know how much Of the Donations contributed to the Huntington's disease Society of America Actually go to research and what percentage pays salaries Of board members
Re: Donations
November 20, 2013 11:13AM
It should be on their website, have you checked there?
cj
November 20, 2013 11:58AM
I work for a federal agency and we have a federal compaign every year we enroll to contribute to various charities. I am trying to get as many people as I can to contribute to HDSA, but I was shown a statistic in our book that shows how much money goes to the cause and how much to overhead. Several operate below 1 %, which I know is hard, but according to the book, HDSA operates at over 30%. This is extremely high in my opinion. I have checked the HDSA website and it seems to be high also from what I understand. I was hoping someone could break it down for me.
cj
November 20, 2013 12:11PM
I FOUND IT
November 20, 2013 06:10PM
For a comparison, check out Nancy Wexler's outfit, Hereditary Disease Foundation. Seems to me, the last time I looked, HDF had less than ten paid staff, HDSA had a significant larger number. Or look at their web pages and count the number of listed names. Or look at the number and types of research/support efforts each are funding. Or check with a local HDSA chapter to see if they can raise funds for HD community efforts other than HDSA. All of which tell me where to funnel few dollars we can afford.

from the south of Maryland

Fred Lothrop
November 24, 2013 03:53PM
Charity Navigator has some stats: [www.charitynavigator.org]
November 25, 2013 07:30AM
I have donated a pretty good sum the last few years through payroll deduction. We have booklets that let us know what each agency
takes out of the donation for administrative duties, etc. When I have looked each year HDSA takes the higher end (which most do not) at
around 21.9%. What is the name and address of the organization that may use my money for a better purpose as I want my funds to do
as much as they can to benefit the HD cause?
Marsha - do you know anything on this?
Thank you

Sharon
November 25, 2013 11:41AM
HDSA does not pay board members. In fact, it cost Steve $2400 a year in donations to HDSA (plus expenses for meeting attendance) to serve on the board. It is a financial hardship for us and board meetings use up almost all of his yearly vacation time. He only does this because he hopes he can represent the HD community and do some good, but he is only one person and his influence is limited.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2013 11:53AM by Marsha.
December 03, 2013 07:45PM
Marsha, that information about HDSA board members just does not seem fair or right. Steve's contribution of his time and energy and expertise should be enough.
And why would they not hold board meetings using technology? Like, Go to Meeting or something?
Well, we appreciate you both for all that you do for this community.
I have often wondered to myself where the money goes.
I am not 100% sure, but I think some of their expenses pay our COE Social Workers. That is certainly a direct benefit to so many families.

Carla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login