Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Physical Needs

Posted by sd739 
Physical Needs
October 20, 2013 06:57PM
This is such an embarrassing subject but I really don't know where else to turn.
My husband is only 53, and has a very strong sex drive. It seems as though his sex drive has become even stronger since he was diagnosed with HD (last year). I am bombarded with other very critical problems (our home is in foreclosure and I am trying to save it), I also have health issues and work full time. I realize that saying no to him cause rejection issues, but, I'm not able to perform. Anyone have any suggestions how to handle this? I really need advice.
Re: Physical Needs
October 21, 2013 07:42AM
Bless your heart. I have heard that the disease can cause "hyper sexuality" in some people. Not sure if he is on an antidepressant, but sometimes that can curb the appetite a bit!, You should discuss this with his Doctor, and please don't be embarrassed by this. I feel sure they hear this AND the opposite problem often. I wish you luck and totally understand your situation and how tired you must be!
Vicky
October 21, 2013 07:24PM
I appreciate your response. He is currently on anti-depressants. I plan to speak with his neurologist during his next appt., hopefully without my husband present. Anyone have a creative way of saying "no"?
October 21, 2013 07:53PM
Short of sleeping in your own locked room, I'm not sure he would understand whatever "creative" things you can come up with. Some of the people get a little ego centric and not much empathy for other people's needs sometimes-sounds like that's where you might be in this journey. I would most certainly talk confidentially with his Dr. and YOURS.
I would try to talk with him prior to his advances maybe try to set up a day or two a week that he can count on it and maybe even start a calendar. Just follow through on those days whether you really feel like it or not. Sometime spontaneity isn't really good for the HD + person and a schedule works better. Maybe pick a day you do not have to work the next day if you have a set schedule. Then if he tries on the "off" days, just remind him and physically show him the calendar and just remind him "hey, you just have to wait 2 more days", or whatever you guys decide. Tell him YOU need this schedule a so that you can be attentive and refreshed. Worth a shot?
V
October 26, 2013 11:00PM
Their are also medications to treat hyper-sexuality and it is a symptom of HD in both men and women. Ask his doctor for help and possibly the social worker at your center of excellence.

Take care,

Carla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login