Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Low Blood Pressure

Posted by Arnaud 
Low Blood Pressure
October 17, 2013 10:37AM
Hi Everyone,

I am an HD patient, 46yrs-old in very early stages.
Positive for the DNA test in 2008.
No visible sign appart from weight loss and tired-looking.
When I have stopped working in 2006 I thought my condition was related to Chronic Fatigue, or Fibromyalgia (close to fainting, or extreme fatigue when walking...).
No medication at the moment but have had been given antidepressant (Escitalopram) during 2-3 years at a very low dose.
That helped not for the fatigue but to enjoyg things a bit more.

Now after many years, I have noticed some obvious physiological sign of this fatigue:
A very low blood pressure (9mm/6mm)
After searching on the Internet, I have found that Neuronal Mediated Hypotension can occur with a neurological illness.
I was wondering if anyone had noticed a similar blood pressure with HD patient.

Thank you!

Arnaud
Re: Low Blood Pressure
March 23, 2014 07:31AM
My blood pressure is also very very low. I'm gene postive.
eve
March 23, 2014 04:59PM
I also have low blood pressure (in spite of needing to loose some pounds), but I am negative. My pHD husband has slightly high BP, but pretty normal. It will be interesting to see how many others have low blood pressure though.
March 24, 2014 01:52PM
I started passing out when I was 5, same exact thing, and then my daughter started at the age of 5. Now everytime she does something in common with me I am so afraid it is just signs that she will have Huntington's too. She did it yesterday while I was preparing for her bday party. She is not used to it yet as I am. I can tell when it is coming on and find a safe place to pass out. She still gets scared by the headaches, lightheadedness, and intense nauseous feeling and she trys to prevent it by laying down and closing her eyes. I have found it just prolongs it. If I just stand up and let myself pass out my body works itself out and goes back to normal. She just crys whenever the tunnel vision and numbness to her face and hands kicks in. I hope yours gets better. No dr could ever find out what it was cus they assumed I wasnt eating or drinking or something, and basically if they couldn't see it it wasn't real. I just have gotten used to it and can tell very early when its going to happen now.
April 13, 2014 11:53AM
yes, yes, and yes!! Hubby did not have low BP at first symptoms or diagnosis. Later years revealed low BP. Is taking fludrocort 0.1mg tab for this. Usually keeps BP in the 100/60 range. He frequently experiences "dizzyness".
April 13, 2014 01:01PM
I have hd and high bloodpressure, anyone want to trade smiling smiley
April 13, 2014 09:57PM
My hd hub has always hadnlow BP but last visit to the Dr was unusually low. He was told to add salt to his diet to get it up a bit...
April 14, 2014 07:14AM
Mine is high as well but I do the same thing.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login