Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Question about HD symptom

Posted by Pophood 
Question about HD symptom
October 14, 2013 09:42PM
Hi everyone! My name is Melissa and my dad has HD. I'm new here and new to chat forums in general. Not knowing if anything is off limits to discuss, I'm just going to jump in and ask a question. If its not okay to ask I hope someone will say something. I know that HD people can lose control of bladder n stuff but my dad for the last few months has been battling diarrhea. He hasn't gone on himself yet but has to rush to the bathroom. My question is...Is frequent diarrhea common in HD people?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2013 10:14PM by Pophood.
Re: Question about HD symptom
October 15, 2013 02:56PM
Haven't heard of this being related to HD. Could be medications if he is taking some. Also could be his diet. Sometimes HD patients have swallowing issues and they alter their diets to mostly liquids and such due to that and don't really get enough solids to help his system kick in. Anything you ask here seems to be within limits, if it has to do with the disease or advise regarding. Still may want to discuss this with his Dr., of course.
Vicky
eve
October 15, 2013 04:32PM
My husband takes some supplements (fish oil) that are likely causing him to have loose stool (not really diarrhea).
October 16, 2013 07:07PM
I think bowel issues are common. Bowel training sometimes works, try for a bowel movement at the same time each day or every other day. I agree that supplements or medications can also cause bowel issues.
All topics are encouraged here, this is the place to get help and info. smiling smiley

Carla
October 16, 2013 08:02PM
Thank y'all for responding. My dad doesn't take any meds and he eats like a horse so I know those aren't the cause. He hasn't really said how often it happens he just mentioned it for the first time a few days ago and he doesn't give a whole lot of info bc he's embarrassed.
October 19, 2013 10:25AM
Hi Melissa,
It's nice to meet you.
Just to add a little humor to what is always an awful situation, when i read your post and your user name, I thought "hmm you should change your user name to "poophood"
lol.
Hope that made you smile
October 19, 2013 01:53PM
D Wilders, that made me giggle, and smile. Thanks smiling smiley))
October 20, 2013 08:23AM
Good, in lives like ours, anytime we can is a blessing.
re
October 27, 2013 11:44PM
Re

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2014 02:45AM by Debrasun.
October 28, 2013 10:57AM
Debrasun, my dad refuses to go see any doctor. He even refuses to get into a car. My mom, about a year and a half ago struggled to get him dressed and somehow got him in the car to go to a doctor and then when they got there he wouldn't get out of the car and the doctor refused to come out to the car to see him. He's so stubborn. Thank you for the suggestion though smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login