Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

husband just got ssdi, have some questions

Posted by ljgreen 
husband just got ssdi, have some questions
August 25, 2013 08:41AM
My husband just got approved for disability benefits, first time around, feeling very blessed and appreciative and want to thank all you for the the info. and advice I got here. At the risk of sounding ungrateful, I have few questions. When talking to an advocate, he mentioned that there was a HD loophole to get back pay/retroactive pay. We actually got a whole year, though our doctor's noted that the onset was five years ago. The amount they are giving us per month seems a little low, though it will keep me from having to work the second job. I guess my question is: should I count my blessings and shut up, or should I consult either our disability case worker or a lawyer about trying to go even further back for retroactive pay? Is there a point in questioning the amount of the monthly benefits? I am not trying to be greedy, but my husband hasn't worked in years, our house is falling apart, along with everything in it, I have a senior who wants to go to college, etc. and I feel like if I screw up and just accept that maybe we could have qualified for more and been that much better off. Also, since the new laws have passed, he will be eligible for Medicaid/Medicare? (I always get those messed up) in December. My question is should I drop him off of our insurance and just use the Medicare? The social worker at our COE said this was a bad plan, but I'm not really sure why. I would appreciate any comments/advice. thanks, Lestie
Re: husband just got ssdi, have some questions
August 25, 2013 10:35PM
hi ljgreen, my husband got his disability check six months after he stop working, I am not sure how much more he could get but if you guys have a son under 18 years old he will get a check too they normaly ask you while filling the paperwork at the Social Security office, I gave all my son information. When my husband stop working he his job had a short term disability which we got for the first six months he was out of work and then he was aproved for long term disability so he gets some money from that not much because we have to claim what social security give us but it does help.
about stopping the insurance is not a good idea when he get his Medicare you still need a second insurance to cover the rest of expensenses because medicare do not cover 100%, when it get closer to get medicare you probably will get some APR insurance information which it work as a second insurance check them out before to cancel the one you have may be shipper. Gook luck and hope this info help you out.
August 26, 2013 05:05PM
I appreciate any advice or comment. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
August 27, 2013 08:57PM
If you have private insurance available you may want to run the numbers. I found that with Part A and B along with prescription and dental I would pay a considerable amount more than using my wife's work provider. You will need A which does not cost and B which carries a premium at least.

I would like to make a statement about the cost of these things when finances drop so dramatically but I won't.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login