Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Looking to Talk

Posted by Yanta 
Looking to Talk
August 19, 2013 11:35AM
Hi Everyone,

I am hoping their may be someone on here who would like to chat with me, preferably a spouse who can relate and give advice. I am at a point in my relationship with my BF where I am very scared and confused. My friends and family had never even heard of HD until now and still they are not very educated on it. To be able to chat with someone who has been where I am and knows what to expect would be wonderful. Thank you all in advance!!
Re: Looking to Talk
August 19, 2013 10:28PM
Yanta you could PM me anythime, we did not know about HD until my mother in Law died, and it is a very lonely place to be because noone around you understand how difficult this is but let me tell you that I was bless with my cousins that since my husband got HD and I need someone around one of the do the three hour drive to see me for the weekend and if I cant get noone to stay with my husband while I go to work they will came one week each just to help me out If anyone told me that I was going to be so luck and have them around I will never believe it I had learn we can not do this alone so do not aisle yourself talk about it. it does help , I am here if you need to talk ok, god bless you.
cj
August 20, 2013 09:05AM
Yanta you are also welcome to PM me. My wife was diagnosed 1 yr ago and is in the early stages. I have been with her for 26 years(we are 43 and 42) and lived through the disease with her father, so nothing really catches me by surprise. You do need to have someone to talk to and most will not understand, but that one just to hear you will help. PMme if you want.
August 20, 2013 03:55PM
Yanta, I have been married to my husband for 22 years. He was gene tested in July of this year. I am 48 and he is 58. His mother was found to have HD with a late onset about 15 years ago. You should be aware this is not going to be easy for either of you. My husband has spoiled me for all these years, paid the bills, hired contractors, filed our taxes, invested our money, had the health and dental benefits... I am now in a position to have to take all of that on and although I should have been educated on all of that, sadly I am not. My husband has just started therapy for speech, swallowing and occupational therapy. He has had to take disability from work as I am trying to stay at my job until the point he needs full time care. My heart breaks for him every day. There may be a point when I am unable to care for him adequately and I am terrified of that eventuality. We were unable to have children, however I have three step sons who are all at risk of having this disease and I also have one biological grand daughter. I am devastated and I totally understand your position. I am glad you are seeking support. This little gene has forever changed our relationship/marriage/partnership. My husband was once a pilot and one of the smartest men I have ever been blessed to know. He has now become depressed, obsessed with his diagnosis. It consumes him, he has trouble eating (choking), he has had falls, he has a lot of movement, he can't sleep through the night, nor can I due to his constant movement and frequent trips to the bathroom. He has become critical of things that never used to bother him. He is impatient. We are going to a support group tonight in our town. I feel sure I will see many who are worse off than we are and it will break my heart for them. I would encourage you and your boyfriend to do the same, and I think you will gain a better insight of what your futures may hold. I am new to this forum, but you are welcome to private message me and hopefully I can figure the sight out to chat with you. This is going to take a lot of support and prayer, but I am so thankful for all our blessings and experiences and look forward to the day when this can be cured and no one has to deal with this hideous disease.
JFB
August 20, 2013 07:56PM
The wife and I took care of her younger sister and now I am taking care of my wife. Her sister was symptomatic in her 20's, where my wife was in her 50"s before sypmtoms became noticable.
You may want to join the Yahoo group for a more intimate discussion with others who have care for or currently caring for loved ones with HD
[health.groups.yahoo.com]

Feel free to PM, however the hectic activities of taking care of the wife would prevent (or greatly limit) being able to talk.
October 06, 2013 12:23AM
I would very much like to chat with you.. my husband has HD and I am going through a very difficult time now.

We can maybe exchange some thoughts and ideas on how we can help each other get through this.

Any little suggestions or help would be much appreciated....

Thanks!
October 06, 2013 12:31PM
I would also be happy to share my experiences. Feel free to pm me .
October 08, 2013 06:36PM
I just tried sending u a pm, but it was rejected. Not sure why, but I will keep trying.
October 10, 2013 11:38PM
You can PM me.....I have lots of experience with HD as my exhusband had it and we didn't know, but I knew something was wrong...........and HE was a doctor!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login