Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Depression

Posted by resawilt 
Depression
July 28, 2013 04:55PM
Hey everyone, the reason why I am writing in this forum is to reach out to people who can talk to me about everything this disease is putting me through, and to also raise awareness of what it is like to live with Huntington Disease.

Many days out of the week I am depressed; I used to supervise dam construction projects and worked as a geological engineer, now I am unemployed and living off of SSI, I have lost my ability to drive and write and am greatly discouraged by this. Last night I learned that a close friend who would take me to lunch and spend time with me is moving away and this causes me to feel depressed. I am not sure what to do. I take life one hour at a time. I live in an assisted living facility and I teach a class on drawing for the residents but still am very depressed and anxious. I have had Huntington Disease for four years and am worried that there will not be any activities for me to be able to participate in for the near future.

Theses are things I have on my mind at the moment, and I would greatly appreciate encouragement and feedback.
Thank you for taking the time to read.
Re: Depression
July 29, 2013 12:45AM
It sounds, to me, that you are being very productive and contributing to society. Your writing is very clear, focused, and expressive. If you can't write, continue to type... The fact that you are depressed over a friend moving means you are human. It sounds to me you are positively living and acting in the ways that you are still able. Your abilities may change over time, but you(everyone) always have a purpose in life, even if that purpose is presented in a different manner over time.

Just from your use of language, it sounds like you still have a lot of your mind and thinking capabilities even if your physical abilities are diminishing. I wish my sis was still able to communicate like this, I know she wants to-- it just isn't able to come out.

I hope you are able to maintain your relationship with your friend. Maybe email, texts, or skype?

-Take caretongue sticking out smiley
July 31, 2013 04:24PM
This site is full of people with lots of experience dealing with HD from people with HD and caregivers. Is sounds like you are making the best of a not so perfect situation. The fact that you are reaching out to help others speaks volumes about who you are. Not certain if you are on any medications but an antidepressant might be just what the doctor ordered. Keeping you in my prayers
July 31, 2013 09:34PM
Hi Resa,

I hope that today is a brighter one for you. It must be really hard to think of your friend moving away, my best friend moved away over 10 years ago and I still miss her. We talk on the phone and email, I try to visit when I can but I am my son's caregiver and it is often not possible to get away. It is a sad fact of life that things change.
I try to focus on positive people and things that are around me. I find it amazing that you are teaching a class...think of how much joy you are bringing to those folks! I know because someone once handed me a sketch pad and a charcoal pencil and even though I am no artist, it brings me joy and peace to sketch.
There are medications that can help with your depression, maybe a Dr visit would be a good thing.

Take care and keep reaching out, we get it here.

Carla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login