Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Not Talking

Posted by Yanta 
Not Talking
July 23, 2013 10:30PM
When I met my Boyfriend over 4 years ago he spoke with his mother often, multiple times a week. (on the phone she lives in another province) In that time his mothers HD has gotten much worse, its hard to understand her and she tends to drop the phone a lot. I know that my BF is at risk of HD and we sometimes think he has symptoms, it kills me that he as grown apart from her. He makes excuses all the time to not call her, I believe its because of the HD but that he will regret not being close with her once she's gone. He is an only child and they have always been close that's one of the reasons I fell in love with him, you can tell a lot about a man from his relationship with his Mom. He hates talking about HD and is very defensive when I bring it up. I know he is scared but I want to help him, I don't want him living with regret. Any advice is appreciated.
eve
Re: Not Talking
July 27, 2013 08:22AM
It would be great if he could find someone to talk to such as maybe a therapist to help him work thru these feelings. I think you have the right idea especially trying to get him to see that he may have regrets if he closes down emotionally.
Re: Not Talking
August 18, 2013 03:29PM
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my concern Thanks!

Unfortunately while talking to a professional would be the best option, I don't think he would even consider it. He doesn't like to talk or think about HD, that's the reason he doesn't speak with his mother often anymore its just a reminder for him of what his life may be. I so wish I could help him, I wish he didn't have to worry about this, I hope and pray he does not have HD. The uncertainty is horrible. I understand for him knowing could be much worse then not knowing. Its all just to much.

His mother is amazing and he is her only child. As a mother myself I couldn't imagine being sick and feeling abandoned by my child, I know she is also scared he may have HD so maybe she understand him being distance but I'm sure it still hurts.

Thanks for listening.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login