Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

best vehicle?

Posted by cohensrus 
best vehicle?
July 18, 2013 05:50PM
Does anyone have a favorite vehicle? My husband has HD, and we need a new vehicle and could use some tips on best ones to get. Thanks! Leah
Re: best vehicle?
July 18, 2013 08:31PM
Check Consumer Reports for free at the library. My personal favs are Toyota - Corolla & Camry and Honda Accord.

Pete
eve
July 19, 2013 04:34PM
Would it be ealier to get into one that a little higher or a little lower? Maybe go to the car dealer and just try having him get in and out of some different height levels to see what style might suite him best.
July 19, 2013 07:26PM
I have both an SUV (Mazda CX-5) and a small 2 seat roadster (Mazda Miata). My daughter gets in and out of both of them with equal ease/difficulty. The SUV is a little harder to get in and easier to get out. The Miata is easier to get get in and harder to get out. Of course the SUV is much more practical, although I do manage to get her transport chair into the Miata's trunk. Before I bought the CX-5 I had a Toyota RAV-4 which also was very practical for her. I agree, you should just go to the car dealer and see what works best. If he uses a wheelchair or will be soon, a small SUV is a good bet.
July 25, 2013 06:03PM
I don't know about the brand of vehicle, but my husband found that getting into/out of a hip high vehicle was much easier. He would bang his head or get stuck in regular cars. We also looked for leather seats to make turning easier and a handle above the door (or at the door) to pull on when he got out. It also made his walker and wheelchair much easier to stow away/retrieve. We keep handi wipes and a Tide detergent stick in the side pocket for spills.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login