Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Blame Game

Posted by nalo 
Blame Game
June 29, 2013 02:07PM
My wife, as yet undiagnosed, is constantly blaming me for all the troubles in the house. She is completely unaware of her behaviours and refuses to even consider that her behaviours are, at best, dysfunctional. Her family only listen to her. No-one engages with me and therefore my name is mud in her family. Any similar experiences?
Re: Blame Game
July 01, 2013 06:56PM
I'm sure we've all had very similar experiences, sad but true
July 01, 2013 07:01PM
How have you had similar experiences? Thank you for your reply!
July 02, 2013 12:22PM
My husband did the same thing with me and our children. It was very upsetting for all of us. We learned not to argue back with him as he would just get more agitated and combative. I was lucky in that my family was very supportive. He would often call my brothers or parents to rant about whatever was upsetting him, and they understood what was going on with his disease so they would try to calm him down.
We also had a great neurologist who was very responsive when we were having a difficult time with him. My husband trusts her and with medication adjustments he is now quite calm most days. She reminded us that his brain chemistry is constantly changing and meds that work now, may not work in the future, so we see her every three months (sometimes sooner if needed).
My heart hurts for you. It's very difficult to love and take care of someone whose behavior is so erratic. I found solace at church and in support groups. You are not alone.
July 02, 2013 02:15PM
Thank you so much for your reply. I find people sharing stories in this forum helps me to realise that, indeed, I am not alone. Things are not good at the moment. She is having very serious bouts of paranoia and there has been a major cover-up in her family. I spoke to her brother yesterday and he was completely out of the
loop on what was going on, apart from MY bullying and abuse and manipulative
nature. THE MIND BOGGLES!
Her family say they don't need to talk to me as they have heard enough already. They are backing her 100% and I should just go! They don't want to hear about Psychiatrist visits or anything of that matter. Everything was normal with the neurologist...pity he couldn't
find the images on the day in question!

Unreal!
July 02, 2013 03:10PM
Oh boy have I been down this road. My hd+ husband used to do it all the time. Before we knew he had hd, he would call his family and make up stories. Crazy stuff. After he was diagnosed I realized it was the hd even though he denied it. Heck, he still denies that he has hd symptoms and he was placed in a nursing home a year and a half ago!
His Neurologist is great and listens to my concerns but his angry outbursts turned dangerous for the kids and I and it was time for him to be placed. He also see's a Psychiatrist. It's important to find Dr.'s who are willing to learn about HD and consider the entire family when treating.

I've heard some hd+ people go through the anger stage and then its over. In our case, sadly, it just kept getting worse and now the amount of medication required to keep him calm is more then I can handle.
The best advice I got while he was still at home was to refuse to argue. It's hard at first, but stand your ground, walk away or do whatever you have to to end the conversation.

As much as it hurts to watch someone you love change like this, you have to keep your sanity through it all.
~Chris
July 02, 2013 03:28PM
Wow. That sounds just like my wife who is, as of yet, undiagnosed. It is terribly difficult for everybody especially with 3 young kids. GP is totally out of his depth. Psychiatrist is on the ball but my wife is refusing to engage anymore and claims she knows nothing. Neurologist is way too relaxed about everything and not in any rush to diagnose. Meanwhile, a grenade has gone off in my family unit- which is very quickly falling apart. Sad, sad, very sad. Any advice would be appreciated. What do I say to the neurologist? She has already been diagnosed with peri-vascular spaces in the basal ganglia. This was 7 months ago. Neurologist said this was normal findings. ???
Any thoughts?
Thanks!
July 02, 2013 05:04PM
We made a couple moves to new homes and the first thing that went wrong he would say (and ALWAYS in front of friends) that the only reason we moved was because I wanted to, and he knew it was the wrong thing to do. Same for job changes, traffic jams (he followed MY directions and didn't want to).. it was even ALL my faulth when he couldn't ave sex anymore. All of it illogical and I eventually learned to just not argue. PatRose
July 03, 2013 09:26AM
Nalo,
I would start by keeping a journal of all the irrational things she does. Everyday document good day/bad day. If its a bad day, list why. Especially document if the kids were affected. I remember one time my husband threatened our 5 year old daughter because the tv was too loud. My daughter was devastated and so scared she was afraid to go to sleep.
In our case the police were called numerous times. Between wandering off at 2 am or using an entire gallon of gas to light a bon fire and burning furniture. Each time the police were called I got a copy of the police reports. When I would take him to the Neuro, I would hand the receptionist an envelope with a copy of my journal and copies of police reports and say (or write on the envelope) this is for the Dr. to read BEFORE the exam.

If your Neuro ignores it, then I'd say it's time to find a new Dr.

I remember being at the stage where my husband was still with it enough to catch onto things but had lost most of his ability to reason. This caused fight after fight. When he didn't understand something he would make something up. "She's telling the Dr. these things and making me look bad because she's having an affair" and crazy things like that.

If the Neuro is waiting to diagnose until he sees Chorea, then it's definitely time to find a new Neuro. Having the right Dr.'s and ones who are willing to learn a bit about HD makes a huge difference.
This is definitely one of the hardest stages to go through. The anger and denial. Sometimes I'm not sure how I did it but I know I could never go back to walking on eggshells again. I hope you can find a way through all this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login