Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Tumeric and Green Tea Extract

Posted by bellolsh 
Tumeric and Green Tea Extract
June 25, 2013 09:41AM
Is anyone taking tumeric and green tea extract (supposedly to decrease iron levels in the brain)? How much of each are you taking?
I'm gene positive, 45 yrs. old, no obvious symptoms....
Trying to be proactive!

Thank you!
Bellolsh
Re: Tumeric and Green Tea Extract
June 25, 2013 03:21PM
Welcome!

I'm not taking either one. See my supplement regimen in my blog. Click on Community at the top of the page and scroll down. I don't think there is any evidence that iron supplements cross the brain/blood barrier to boost iron in the brain.

Will
June 25, 2013 06:35PM
Thank you for the information Will! I found your list quite helpful. I've been meaning to get blueberry extract. I will also look into Trehelose. This looks very promising.

The information I've dug up about Tumeric and Green Tea is that they help with general inflammation of the brain as well as decreasing levels of iron in the brain. High levels of iron have been found in patients with many neurodegenerative disorders, huntingtons included, so many naturopaths recommend these two for overall brain health.
I'm also considering taking Nacetylcysteine and Phosphatidylserine for mental clarity. I feel fuzzy sometimes.

Any thoughts/feedback on these would be welcome!

Best,
Bellolsh
June 26, 2013 04:32AM
I take turmeric for arthritis and learned it can interfere with certain medications particularly heart meds. 500mg 2x/day.
June 26, 2013 08:49AM
Bellosh,

Many of my supplements fall into the "can't hurt, might help" category. Tumeric and green tea would be in that group. I don't know about those two "ine" things. I do feel that my whole regimen has helped with mental clarity.

Will
June 26, 2013 11:49AM
For Green tea there is a study in germany which will end year 2014.

For curcumin, there are some mouse studies .

[www.molecularneurodegeneration.com]

Conclusions

In summary, in this first report of curcumin as a therapeutic in vivo for HD, we have found that curcumin ameliorated three aspects of HD in CAG140 KI mice, with the most notable effect on the htt aggregates. We also observed partial improvement of transcriptional deficits, and partial behavioral improvement. Despite the presence of some detrimental effects of curcumin treatment in both KI and WT mice of unknown significance for humans, further investigation of this compound for its use in HD is warranted.
June 27, 2013 11:51AM
We do both 500mg tumeric twice a day and not certain what the dosage on the Green Tea suppliment is. We drink Green Tea as well. We fall into the can't hurt might help and have done both for several years.
June 28, 2013 12:55PM
Thanks for all of the above information. I'll continue my Tumeric and Green Tea intake. I've done some investigating about N-acytely-cysteine, which I mentioned above. I have a friend who is an organic chemist and I've consulted him in the last day or so. Simply put, cysteine "neutralizes" the affects of Glutamate damage to the brain. This damage has been implicated in HD.

I've just started taking 500mg once a day and may increase my dosage to 2x's per day. I'll keep you posted about any side affects. It is a sulfa drug so it tastes a bit funny.
I have also felt very energetic and clear headed today, but it is most likely due to placebo. I'll take it!

Bellolsh
July 05, 2013 02:00AM
They both have health benefits. I think they can both help people who has any type of disease.smiling smiley
July 05, 2013 10:46AM
I have hereditary hemochromatosis (too much iron) and was told that there are no medications or supplements to lower iron levels in the organs.
July 12, 2013 02:12AM
Tenille, I also have hd and hemochromatosis, and when my iron levels get up I feel like crap. Mostly, I don't take anything to try and get rid of the iron, although I make sure I cook with glass pots, and don't use any castiron pans. The biggest thing I do, is stay away from beef, and eat meats that are lower in iron. Also, I will not take a multivitamin with iron in it. I don't eat cereals because of the huge amount of iron added to them, and limit how much bread I eat for the same reason. Brown rice has stuff in it's fibre that acts as a chealator. Other than that, I just try and keep my iron down, because I have VERY bad veins! lol And they have a heck of a time trying to do my phlebotomies, but, I only get it done once or twice a year now, which is very nice smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login