Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

suggestions please

Posted by wallettce 
suggestions please
June 17, 2013 12:04AM
Hi everyone I have not been here for a few weeks my husband was doing pretty good, and like to go out but since last wednesday he has been drinking water a lot and goes to the bathroom like every five minutes, I asked him if hurts when he go pee he said no that he is fine amd I remember that last melldown he had he was drinking a lot of water thinking that the medicine I give him comes out I asking why he is drinkin so much water he said just because, we are going to the neorology doctor next week and I will asking he is taking Rispidone 4 Mg every night I was thinking that they could give him 2mg in the morning and two at night he seems a little more hyper during the day lately and give an actitud if we asking questions do not talk and when we asking how he is doing seems to be bother just tell us to leave him alone........
Re: suggestions please
June 17, 2013 10:10AM
I would definitely report this symptom to the doctor. Not everything is related to HD, it could be diabetes. If there is no medical reason for this excessive thirst it could just be something he has fixated on (maybe he saw something on TV about how most people don't drink enough water for example) and isn't processing how often he is drinking. Excessive water drinking can be dangerous, it can cause intoxication and even death so you definitely need to get to the bottom of it. It may be related to his behavioral meltdowns.
June 17, 2013 03:56PM
Marsha is correct - this can be life threatening. One of the early signs will be low blood sodium, which can be easily measured. Here's a scary, but good description of it. [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] There can be psychological causes, as the article states.

Will
June 17, 2013 08:44PM
My husband was on Risperdal also until just recently. He went through a stage where he drank liquids very excessively, to the point he would vomit. One night he drank about 1&1/2 - 2 gallons in a short period while i was sleeping. I knew because i found him in upstairs bathroom with vomit all over the place & all the tea, lemonade & milk in fridge was gone. He was very agitated and wild eyed during that phase. He would also talk out loud to himself almost every waking moment and after months and months of this i just couldn't continue as we were any longer. I was sure we could do better for him and we are trying Haldol now instead of Risperdal. He had been on Risperrdal for about 5 years and upping the dose any more was not working. We are both now sleeping better. It was to the point i was thinking i couldn't continue taking care of him. Here is an article i found on excessive thirst. For whatever it's worth.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
June 17, 2013 09:47PM
Thanks, guys I just so worry about another melldown, we just change neorology doctor, the one he had before was giving him to much medicacion, we start going to the VA in San Diego three hours from home and his first app. is this friday coming up last melldown was in february which they took all medication he was taking and give him respidal 4mg and ansairy not sure if this is the write way to spell it but is for him not to be walking around and hipper he takes one in the morning and one two at night noone wants to change medication until he sees his new neorology plus he was doing ok not good but he was eating and taking medication he still is eating and I give the medication to him I am just wondering if he is hiding it on his mouth until later I do try to give him one by one with a drink of water each I am hoping that he will be ok until friday that we go to the app or else I may have to take it to the emergency room to the VA , he seems that are getting irritaging during the day which he use to not do , I really dont know I just so stress and what to do, I was going to take him to the regular doctor today but he stop drinking water the way he did during the weekend I got home from work and went to pay some bill and asking to go with me and he did when he gets bad he do not want to go nowhere so I am not sure if I am over seen things.
June 18, 2013 06:01AM
My husband did verrry well on the risperdal for the first 4&1/2 years. If he has just started on it you might want to give it a chance, is he taking any other meds, lexapro was used for us but i felt the 20mg was too much dose for my husband, we lowered to 10 mg 1 x day
June 18, 2013 11:22PM
he is just taking Risperdal 4 mg at night and two .5mg of clonazepam and one in the morning this is all his taking at the moment until he sees his new neorology doctor this friday .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login