Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

?? the fact that 1 in 8 with HD do not have chorea,

Posted by sonshinesandi 
?? the fact that 1 in 8 with HD do not have chorea,
June 04, 2013 08:21PM
To those that are administrating this site or anyone else.
The fact Marsha Miller posted that 1 in 8 with HD do not show signs of chorea......

Please elaborate and give more info, direct to written information.

Even tho I have tested positive for HD, I have very little if any chorea. The neurological doctor in the clinical trials for CoQ10 that I am participating in at UTSouthwestern Medical Center in Dallas specializes in movement disorders . I really like the doctor but it seems because I do not have major chorea that it is considered that I have a "MILD" case of HD.

I struggle with cognitive and emotional things. If I feel strongly about an issue , it is as if I get tunnel vision and cannot let it go until I have expressed my opinion and been acknowledged as it being valid, ( trying to pacify me only makes me very upset and agitated). I am a widow as of 2010 and live alone but have family nearby. I work a full time job , but this is becoming more and more difficult as when something out of the ordinary happens I over-react , emotional outburst, and do not realize I am being a jerk until the situation is over and I have calmed down.

I know this is very difficult for my kids and grandkids also. It does not happen every day, but when it does it is sometimes horrendeous. I do not want to alienate the ones who love me but seem to have no control over this when I am emotionally agitated , confused or upset. I can be contentious, argumentative and just rude, but do not seem to know I am until the situation is past and I look back on it or someone who cares enough and knows that I do not intend to offend tells me.

Please , if you have any specific information and facts on this aspect of HD let me know how I can access it and print it off. I do not want to alienate the ones who love me and care for me and I am quite concerned what will happen as this cognitive and emotional HD progresses.

Thank you.
Re: ?? the fact that 1 in 8 with HD do not have chorea,
June 04, 2013 10:10PM
Here's the reference:

[www.hdlf.org]

Here's an article which discusses the issue of diagnosis based on cognitive or psychiatric symptoms rather than motor impairment:

[currents.plos.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2013 10:15PM by Marsha.
June 05, 2013 07:32AM
Thank you for your prompt reply.. I will keep this info and print it off. God Bless as you continue your work to help us understand HD.
eve
June 05, 2013 12:43PM
I'm curious about the eye movement abnormalities. Would it be a problem with convergnece or gaze position or nystagmus or just what is going on?
June 05, 2013 10:52PM
It's an inability to sweep one's gaze from side to side without interruption.
eve
June 06, 2013 08:42PM
Thanks Marsha! So it sounds as if it's a smooth pursuit-tracking problem. That would be really irritating to have that problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2013 08I miss youPM by eve.
eve
June 06, 2013 08:45PM
PS I don't know why my post has a Miss You sign! I didn't think I put that in, but if so it wasn't intentional!
June 10, 2013 09:19AM
That smiley appears whenever : is followed by the number 44. So if the time is one minute before say 9:45 when you post, it will appear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2013 09:20AM by Marsha.
June 10, 2013 03:01PM
Hi I am in the exact same boat. I have had HD for 8 years with severe emotional problems that me and my Psychiatrist have been working on. I have tried a ton of meds without much success. I take Namenda for my cognitive issues but I just started having chorea within the last two months
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login