Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

First- timer

Posted by marky S 
First- timer
May 24, 2013 02:12PM
Hi all,

Been watching for a while and wanted to intoduce myself. I have been tested positive with a CAG of 42. I seem to be in stage 1 of HD My father had HD and I watch the ugly stages from beginning to his end a few years ago. I was having problems with memory and some minor movments and went to my famely doctor. He was also my fathers doctor so was
suggested I be tested. As all of you know this was really tough to wait for the results. My doctor sent me to as neuroligist
who also treated my dad. wasn't delaing to well with the positive test so he put me on Lexapro for depression. Wasn't helping to much so inscresed to doese to 20mg and added 2mg of Abilify. This is expensive since there is no generic for it yet. I'm in a stage at work where it is getting more difficult to do my job effectively . Told my managent I had HD and they
have been supportive taking away the travel I used to do. I had problems with anxiety and concentration during the travel . Let them know I problably won't be able to do my job much longer. Not easy to admit to yourself when that time comes.
Anyway, thanks very much to everyone that contributes to this site. Very glad to have a place to vent a little.
Re: First- timer
May 25, 2013 08:58AM
Welcome, MarkyS,

Vent anytime you want. We understand here. It sounds like your employer is being helpful - as required by the Americans With Disabilities Act. Here's a good summary of that: [www.eeoc.gov] It will be good for you to work as long as possible, for a number of reasons.

Will
May 26, 2013 09:10PM
Welcome Marky. You have found a fine place for support. Read on and ask. Many are here to help.
Mike
May 29, 2013 03:17PM
Thanks very much Will and mikee. Will, I agree I need to last as long as I can with my job. Thanks very much for the link. Trying to gather as much info as I can. Look forward to spending as much time here as I can.
May 29, 2013 08:16PM
You know Marky; this is a warm fuzzy place for those with HD. I wish you luck. Been there, done that with working. One of the hardest things I ever did was leave work. Once I worried about retirement. I've told many since be careful what you wish for.

Mike
May 31, 2013 12:15PM
Welcome!
June 04, 2013 10:03AM
Mikee - Words so true. Trying to go as long as I can. Job is somewhat techical in Customer Support and frustrating forgeting customer
names and such. Try to leave reminder notes around to help me through the day. As long as I can remember who I am and how to get to
work I guess I'll keep plugging away.

Carla,

Read some of your post. Nice to get the Caregivers point of view from you and all the others that deal with the other side of this. My mother was in your shoes for many years and really told on her. Reading all the stories on here makes me apprecitte what she did even more. Hopefully some help with HD is coming soon for your 2 sons and the rest of us.

Mark
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login