Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Melatonin

Posted by jaq 
jaq
Melatonin
May 17, 2013 04:29AM
Hi

I wonder if anyone has experince of taking melatonin . We can't get it on presecription in the UK but I have heard good thing about it at a couple of conferences and wonder if it might help with my brothers day night reversal .

He is not going to bed until six or later in the morning then getting up around two . When he is a sleep he seems to sleep well ( aprt from th elast few weeks with the tongue ulcers and other things ) but is not intersted in getting into a more regular sleep routine and I am wondering if melatonin may help .

I have asked him to go to bed earler etc etc etc but everything is 'rationalised' he says he need to be up all night to listed to a radio show he likes called 'up all night ' and can play computer games better at night etc etc .

Any advice and ideas much appreciated

Thanks
Re: Melatonin
May 17, 2013 12:55PM
Yes my husband and I take melatonin every night and it works great for both of us. We use a product from Swansons Vitamins it is their brand and is Duel release. Very inexpensive and does the trick for us. I also give my husband a allergy pill each night and the combination of the two really seems to help. God Bless you both hope this helps
May 17, 2013 02:49PM
We were told not to use it as it might cause side effects with my husbands Paxel. But I have heard it works well. Can you order it online or pick up as a non perscription ?
May 20, 2013 10:46AM
We order it online at swansonvitamins.com it is Swanson Duel-Release Melatonin 3mg 60 tabs for $3.49 a bottle. We take two a night with no adverse side effects. My husband is not on any anti-depressants just anti-anxiety.
jaq
May 21, 2013 03:57AM
Thanks I will search it out .

Bst wishes
July 04, 2013 10:33PM
Melatonin is inexpensive. Laura takes it around 10:30 every night. Melatonin comes in several strengths. Getting the right dosage is key. 2.5 mg may not be enough for some and 10 mg may be too much. It now comes in time release. Laura takes the sublingual version (under the tongue) to bypass the digestive system which seems to work well for her. Vitamin Shoppe carries it.

Pete
July 05, 2013 10:43AM
I also take Melatonin. In the US it is an over the counter herbal supplement, inexpensive and in varying strengths. Trader Joe's sells a chewable tablet that is nice for people with swallowing issues.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login