Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

HD and Confabulation \ False Memory

Posted by nalo 
HD and Confabulation \ False Memory
May 09, 2013 05:35PM
Hi, relatively new to all of this and can't believe my luck in finding this forum!
Does anyone have any thoughts on Huntington's Disease and False Memory Syndrome? My wife, who is still not diagnosed, may have HD. She has all the usual symptoms and has been conpulsively telling lies to her family about me and misinterpreting stories, events, etc. She is relating messages in a completely skewed manner. This is awfully distressing for me.
Has anybody any experience of this?
Thanks from Ireland.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2013 05:15PM by nalo.
Re: HD and Confabulation \ False Memory
May 11, 2013 07:34PM
Yes I think it is part of the HD symptoms. I'm not sure if they are outright lying or if the brain is just unable to process information properly. Stick around here, most of us have experienced some of the Psych/Cognition problems that are a real part of Huntington's. Welcome!

Carla
May 11, 2013 07:40PM
Thanks for that. I will definitely be sticking around.
May 19, 2013 09:08PM
My husband has this problem too
May 20, 2013 06:04AM
In what way, Edwina? Have you had similar experiences? I am being driven demented by my wife and how she is misinterpreting things and relaying completely skewed information. It really wears me down. I don't have any family members of hers I can confide in. I already tried it with one member, 2 years ago and all hell broke loose!...It was all my fault!
Very distressing.
May 20, 2013 09:52PM
nalo,

when my husband gets angry at me , he will call his family and say how horrible I am and they believe him. I have done the same as you , talking to his family only to get shut out . You see they are in denial about hd and how bad he really his. Maybe that is what is happening with your wives family. They just don't want to see it. I have had some break throughs on some of the issues with my husband family, but I could never be close to them. I have been with my husband for over 10 years and I am still the outsider, at family gatherings. It is sad, but true,
When he tells them things , he really believes them, and to him he is not lying. I know now that it is hd and not him , so it is a bit easier, but hd is not easy. It never will be. I try to hold on tight to the good moments we have.
I hope things get better for you. If you can anyway get her seen at a COA, and get treated, you may have some better moments. I am still trying to get his medications under control, because. my husband has been pretty difficult about taking them. I still have HOPE. I can't lose that, if I do I won't be able to cope with the Hd. So I read I learn, I share my feelings with others, and I continue to be here for him, which is not easy. I am here because I know inside of him, is a deep love for me, and I love him too, so I am here. I want him back the way he was when I met him, but I know in my heart it never will be. I still have HOPE, that a cure is near and if not for him, but next the generation, I want it to be him as well.
Sorry I ranted but I do understand how you feel, it hurts, to have the one you love put you down. I know I live it too.
May 29, 2013 11:14PM
My cousin with HD confessed to an affair that never happened....talk about a bewildered husband.
My older sister is the same way in coming up with these things that aren't based in reality.
I will have to say, I go along with stuff that I wouldn't have even a short time ago. She is so convincing because she truly believes it.
She's been a tough nut to crack getting her off some topics. I remind myself ( mantra, really..lol) that HD is not her fault nor mine so try to let it go...not so easy some days.
My thoughts are with you.
June 12, 2013 08:37AM
I have this too - we call it "wishful thinking!"

tellie
June 12, 2013 10:11AM
How does it manifest itself, Tellie?
June 12, 2013 02:01PM
Well, here is one example. (By the way, I had the DNA test a few years back, and tested positive at CAG 42.)

This past Thanksgiving, we were all at my mother's house. It was my father who had HD, and he is no longer with us. I have two younger brothers (neither has been tested) and we were all going to be at Mom's house for the first time in a long time. She asked if we'd like to have a professional family photo taken while we were visiting, and we all agreed. She helped us coordinate our color scheme and made an appointment. In my mind, she was going to pay for everyone. After we had the photo shoot and were looking at the proofs, I told my brothers that Mom was paying. Of course, they suspected the truth, but didn't make a scene when we were each presented with our own bills.

I can see how you might find this kind of behavior annoying in your wife, Nalo. Mine often has to do with imagining that someone else is paying.

tellie
June 12, 2013 02:09PM
Ok. I see. Unfortunately, my case is a lot more serious with more profound repercussions. It's rather a very serious case of character assassination and accusations of inappropriate relations. Also, accusations of saying wild things to other people and of other people saying wild things about me. I am talking about a complete disconnect from reality.
Thanks for your reply.
June 12, 2013 02:36PM
Hi my name is Karla, I am very new to this forum.. My husband was told 2yrs ago he had a cag of 42 he is 46 this year, his mother has it.. he didnt want to have the test but he was applying for something which required it... He often skews up what I am saying or tries to confuse me.. if he doesnt get his own way he gets very angry or sulks.. lately he has been very bad tempered, I dont know if hes onset or not.. any help would be appreciated..

Karla, New Zealand
June 13, 2013 05:08PM
Hi Nalo,

Maybe she'd benefit from an antidepressant. I take celexa, and it helps a lot.

tellie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login