Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Possible HD Spouse...brick wall at doctor's surgery

Posted by nalo 
Possible HD Spouse...brick wall at doctor's surgery
May 08, 2013 03:04PM
My problem is a massive one and here is the synopsis: Every time I go to my GP about my wife, with genuine concerns about her health, she has been there before me - telling monstrous lies and engaging in character assassination. We went to a psychiatrist, at MY request, and the psychiatrist mentioned issues with Morbid Jealousy Disorder and Paranoid Ideation. ENOUGH SAID! I was in cahoots with the psychiatrist and my wife refused to go back as the psychiatrist was talking rubbish. Even my wife's family are down on top of me, for DRAGGING her off to a psychiatrist, when there was absolutely no need. They are adamant that she will not be going back as it's so unfair on her when there's nothing wrong.

I have noticed massive cognitive decline as well as very peculiar movements in the fingers, toes, arms and head, trunk as well as facial muscles and slurring of speech. I am trying to make sure that she spends as much time as is possible with friends and family members. However, I have had no feedback from anyone. The reality is that it probably won't come from her family members because of the major marital problems I raised in the past - and this would provide answers! SAD, I KNOW. In addition, if friends or work colleagues mention it to her, I will be the last to hear about it.

I worry about her driving as I see her toes dancing at night when she is barefoot. Her hands, arms are constantly going up to her face and her fingers twitch in typing- motion. She is breaking stuff on a regular basis...light switches, knobs, buttons, levers, chords,etc.

I have brought all of this to the GP but he refuses to take me seriously and is blatantly dismissive of me at this stage, I WON'T GIVE UP! Her brain scan was 'normal' apart from 'Several Peri-Vascular Spaces in the Basal Ganglia'. She sat in front of the neurologist and made me look like a complete fraud / idiot by saying that all her movements were voluntary. It's only since then that they have become a lot more pronounced. There's no way I can get her back, besides, I don't want her family down on me like a tonne of bricks...AGAIN!

Any advice? It's all very over-whelming. I feel completely isolated. One or two of my own family members have supported me and have vouched that they have noticed the signs. Other family members believe it to be marital and have fallen for her stories...HOW COULD YOU?...etc

All in all, it's been distressing.

ANY ADVICE?...OR,INDEED, SIMILAR STORIES WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS FROM IRELAND.
Re: Possible HD Spouse...brick wall at doctor's surgery
May 09, 2013 05:47AM
You don't mention if there a history of the disease in her family? Dublin has an HD office which might be able to direct you to the people who could help you. Unless GPs are familiar with HD they don't always pick up on a diagnose. Of course her symptoms could be of something else not HD.
May 09, 2013 06:47AM
Thanks for that Bridie. I appreciate all the help I can get. However, is there any point in me contacting their office without an official diagnosis? The psychiatrist briefly mentioned HD to me a while back, but it was very much off the record, as my wife won't go back.
Do the HD Association deal with spouses who only suspect HD?
May 09, 2013 09:44AM
A good start would be to find out if any relatives were at risk or showing symptoms. If not anything you do at this point would become very difficult to prove short of genetic testing. The Hd Association might help with lining up your ducks in a row meaning you would have all the information as to where to go for immediate help if problems become severe. Otherwise I would continue to see a psychiatrist without her for support and direction. There may come a time when those records can be used to provide added documentation of past problems you have experienced.
Again she may or may not have HD. It could very well be some other type of motor neuron disease.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login