Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Medical Marijuana

Posted by MRO 
MRO
Medical Marijuana
April 20, 2013 09:18PM
My husbands chorea has gotten so bad it is unsettling for him. I am wondering if anyone has used medical marijauna for chorea? I almost would prefer him do that then use TBZ.

Any experienced users? Can you get medical Marijuana if you don't live in California?
Re: Medical Marijuana
April 20, 2013 09:42PM
There is a synthetic THC which was developed as an appetite stimulant and to decrease side effects of chemo for cancer patients. It also has been used off label for relaxation of chorea. My husband is prescribed this. He states it does not make him "high", but does help him to chill out and relaxes his movements. It is covered by his insurance though the copay is much higher than with some of his other meds. This med is called Marinol (generic Dronabinol).

Our doctor preferred to go this route instead of recommending he "self medicate" because of the other health problems related to smoking and inhaling marijuana. Aside from that, we are in PA, no medical Marijuana here.

Hope this helps.
PattyC
Re: Medical Marijuana
April 21, 2013 04:43PM
My uncle got a medical marijuana card when he was diagnosed HD positive and symptomatic. This is in the state of Michigan. Not really sure how much it helped him, as he was kind of a recluse. Then he ended his battle abruptly. He was very paraniod. Not sure if marjuana helped that aspect positively...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login