Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Movements

Posted by Ann 
Ann
Movements
April 05, 2013 09:20PM
Hi everyone. My husband is starting to show some movements of HD. Is there anything he can take, medically or otherwise, to try and keep them away?
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
Re: Movements
April 05, 2013 10:14PM
Hi Ann my husband has been taking xenadine and has been working pretty good, when he had movements he lost a lot weight , because the movements were on his stomage after he started taking after four weeks he start doing good and no movements at all, everybody is different but you should talk to his doctor about this medicine because it has a lot side effects and need medication for it too. Good luck
April 06, 2013 08:26AM
My husband has done well with Xenazine as well. His Risperidone also addresses the movements .
April 06, 2013 10:04PM
The doc prescribed Xenazine as soon as my husband was diagnosed. Simply because it was a drug for HD. My husband didn't like it at all. Said it made him feel "jittery". With his doc's advice, he quit taking it. Also, his movements were, and 3 years later are still confined to his fingers and feet. He is also on Risperidone, but for agression, not movements. ( I didn't know that respiridone addressed movements...could be why his are not worse....)
April 08, 2013 08:17AM
That kinda bugs me. Many docs will jump straight to Xenazine because it is "approved for HD". Yes, but it is approved for ONE ASPECT of HD, and very often, not the first symptom to limit people functionally. Our first doctor was one of the study participants for Xenazine, to help get t approved for this population, but even still, at that point in my husband's symptoms, he did not start Xenazine. His thought was that if the chorea was not limiting function, and was not uncomfortable for the patient, then don't medicate for it.

My husband started on anti depressants and anti psychotics (risperidone), which also had a relaxing effect on his movements. He was well managed for a few years on only that. Once his chorea became disruptive to his walking and function, his doctor then started him on a low dose. We have since tapered up to 100mg per day, and he is still having some break through chorea.

Unfortunately, it is a delicate balance.
April 09, 2013 09:00AM
Hi you should talk to your dr, we are just going through this at moment my partner arm movements are lot worse and tends to look like he is standing on one leg, and over balance but we upped a tablet and he was asleep all the time so think everybody is different, just need to look and see what is best. we have decided to have more movement but him be awake more as no life for either of us just have to see whats best for you. good luck
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login