Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

what is chorea like in the early stages?

Posted by wendya432 
what is chorea like in the early stages?
March 29, 2013 01:45PM
I can't seem to find any information that explains what the movements are like in the early stages of HD. Videos seem to show advanced chorea, and any literature doesn't really explain well what it can be like.

I know things are different for everyone, but just wondered what it is like. Can you give some examples or descriptions, please? Thank you!
Re: what is chorea like in the early stages?
March 29, 2013 11:17PM
Hi Wendy for my husband started while sitting down his feed and toes will move and he start telling me he cant help it, and when we have a conversation he will move his arms a lot which he did not do before even while he was sleeping his leg will move, then he start getting diarria( not for sure if this is the correct way to write it) his belly will move a lot thats make me keep asking him to go to the doctor it took me a year for him finally went and doctor suggest some testing that it was Hd, at this moment he does not have any of that after two years he takes xenadine has work very good for him.
cj
August 26, 2013 12:13PM
Wendy my wife is in the early stages and hers has begun primarily in her feet. When asked to sit still and not move her left foot has a constant twitch in which she curls her toes up. Also, a little movement in her hands and legs when watching television.
August 26, 2013 03:33PM
Hi Wendy - I'm in the stages of HD and also seem to have movements worse in my legs to the point of they are sometimes sore. I have twitches
in my hands and arms but not nearly as pronouced as my legs. Neuroligist has just started me on Abilify which has shown to help in one study with chorea . Also
on a antidessprent Lexapro. Didn't handle finding out I had HD to well as my father had HD and I watched him thru the phases from beginning to end.
For me the cognitive issues are more of a problem since I am still working and am dealing with focus and memory issues which make work more difficult.
August 27, 2013 12:13PM
Hi Wendy,

I'm in the early stages, and the only chorea-like thing that I have is tension in my tongue and a kind of muscle stiffening in my upper lip. These things get better when I take creatine, and seem to get worse when I don't.

tellie
September 06, 2013 06:06PM
yeah creatine has helped me too.
November 14, 2013 01:51PM
Hi. my name is Elizabeth and my husband was diagnosed in Aug. of this year. He started moving his hands alot. He would open and close his hands constantly and rub his hands together all the time. now he twitches more all over but not as extreme as I have watched some of the people in the youtube videos. He seems to be worse when he gets upset or nervous. My husband also has a terrible time at night. He is on 2 sleeping pills and he sleeps fine, but he moves all night long. he tosses and turns and fights, and talks and shakes and hits me. I know one day I'm gonna wake up with 2 black eyes. Sometimes I think he is having a seizer. He also has sevier headaches. Does anyone else see this symptom? usually they are on or the day after he has a very bad emotional day. It is so hard to pin-point a stage he is in. I wish there was a chart that would tell you and also what to expect in the next stage. Do all HD patients live 10-15 yrs? at what year do you usually have to put them in a nursing home? I have read lots of post where the person who has HD wants to divorce their spouse? Will he want to divorce me? He is VERY paranoid and clingy. His constant rant is that I am cheating on him. He thinks I sneak out of the house at night. Sometimes I feel like he is super-glued to my side. I can't go anywhere or do anything that he's not just sitting and watching me.
November 16, 2013 09:45AM
Hi Wendy,

My husband was diagnosed 4 years ago. The neuro said at that time he was in "early" stage. He has been on respiridone for about 3 1/2 years now. It was prescribed for anger/aggression, but I have read that it also can be prescribed for chorea. (Please note: symptoms actually began as early as 2006)

His movements are primarily in his hands and feet:

Feet - taps his feet, rubs his toes together, one odditity that we have noticed, on his right foot, the second toe: it will move in a downward position (like it would if you had a cramp in it, but without the pain). What is odd is that when it does this, his big toe will not move. We have both tried to purposely do this, but everytime, the big toe moves upward.

Hands - imagine you had superglue stuck on your thumb, and were constantly trying to rub it off....

Sorry if this is a little too descriptive, but it's the best way I know how to explain it.

I don't watch the videos. I don't want to see into the future. We just take one day at a time.
Re:
November 19, 2013 04:02PM
Re

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2014 02:41AM by Debrasun.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login