Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

weight loss and loss of muscle mass/muscle endurance

Posted by casey 
weight loss and loss of muscle mass/muscle endurance
March 23, 2013 11:10AM
When I do weight lifting or cardio I don't feel like I'm making the improvements that I could make when I was younger. If I miss a week or two of lifting, I'm back down to the weights I was using when I started my regular routein. Just swimming for 20 minutes really takes it out of me, I didn't have these problems a few years ago. I've noticed I'm hungry all the time these days, too. My weight also fluxuates quite a bit as well. I'm not sure what to think of this, is it worth bringing up with my Dr?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2013 11:36AM by casey.
Re: weight loss and loss of muscle mass/muscle endurance
March 23, 2013 11:50AM
I have the same problem. I mentioned to my dr but he didnt really have any ideas.
March 24, 2013 04:06PM
Have you been tested for low T? I was diagnosed a few years ago and AndroGel has made a big difference in my energy levels. There's also a serious disease called ARD - Age Related Deterioration. There's no treatment for that :-)

Will
March 24, 2013 05:15PM
I had a testosterone test done recently and I'm actually on the high side of average.
March 24, 2013 06:17PM
It couldn't hurt to mention it but it may go nowhere. I've had a tremendous problem with energy, strength and endurance. I like to think I was a buff old man prior to HD(not really) but I was very active. I had an exercise program in therapy that helped but I never could make it over that hump where they wanted me to be. The cycling took it out of me. I took Will's advice and tested with high testosterone. The exercise did help somewhat with balance issues although they will probably always be a problem.

Mike
March 25, 2013 08:47AM
If it's not testosterone, it might be low iron. That's a simple test also.

Will
March 25, 2013 01:29PM
Don't overlook the obvious also. HD is a muscle wasting disease. I haven't seen anyone mention creatine on this thread yet, and it might be worth looking into
March 25, 2013 09:49PM
Barb, that raises an eyebrow. I think I remeber creatine being off in a blood test.
Thanks,
Mike
March 26, 2013 10:57AM
I have been thinking that is the cause of my problems. Has anyone noticed how far in advance of more noticeable symptoms muscle wasting occurs?
May 05, 2013 12:55PM
This constant hunger is really disturbing. It reminds me of when my Mom was early in the disease and eating bagels and cream cheese almost nonstop. Last year I used to be able to ride my bicycle for 4-5 hrs without a problem. This year I am so hungry all of the time that going 90 minutes is a problem.
rj
May 05, 2013 06:30PM
Have you had your blood sugar tested?
May 21, 2013 06:21PM
I have elevated CPK indicating muscle damage. No known cause. Trust me I've been tested for everything!! I aunts/uncles/cousins with HD. I want to test to relieve my anxiety about it. I worry constantly about the "what if"
May 22, 2013 08:59PM
I can eat in the morning and an hour later be starving. I can miss breakfast and not eat until noon. Dinner can be at 6 pm or 9 pm. then bed. I get weaker if I realize hunger and once I eat I energize somewhat.
Mike
May 24, 2013 01:14AM
Thank you for this information, I only use few of these methods. Thank you again for taking the time to write this.
Josh Hamilton Jersey
C.J. Wilson Jersey
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login