Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Antidepressant

Posted by pal 
pal
Antidepressant
March 21, 2013 02:29PM
Hi
Have not been on in years, my husband now filing for disabilty , I just spent 400.00 to a Dr who will not help us without another visit and of course no insurance . He put him on risperidone and it made him mean, 1mg, so the only drug he is on is 50mg zoloft , he thinks it is making him move more, what is best antidepressant for HD, the only reason we tried zoloft was I read it slowed movenment , any feed back apperciated thanks
Re: Antidepressant
March 22, 2013 07:45AM
It is hard to say, as each person with HD is different. Your best bet is to get to a neurologist who is familiar with HD. Do you have a local chapter of HDSA? Otherwise the national office might be able to point you toward a physician who knows HD.

My husband takes Paxil, and has from the beginning. He is also on risperidone for aggression, xanax for anxiety and xenazine for chorea. It took a while to get a good mix of meds that work for him, so unfortunately, there is not any one standard...

I hope you find some good help. Once stabilized, your husband will be mus=ch more pleasant to be around.

Take care,
Patty C'
pal
March 22, 2013 07:53AM
Thanks
March 22, 2013 08:59AM
As Patty says, everyone is different. An SSRI like Zoloft or Paxil or Lexapro is definitely a good way to start with an antidepressant since most (not all) people with HD do well on SSRIs and they boost BDNF, a neuroprotective protein which is reduced in the brains of HD patients.

If he improves on the Zoloft but needs more treatment for his symptoms, you might want to try an atypical neuroleptic like Zyprexa which many people with HD do well with.
pal
March 22, 2013 09:25AM
[www.a2xanxiety.com]

thanks we do not have insurance and heard the Zyprexa pricy gonna try this
March 22, 2013 07:12PM
After trying several different kinds, my husband is on Viibryd. It works well, but is expensive.
March 27, 2013 07:09PM
It is true everyone is different bit I was told during my research visit that many have had good success withCelexa.
Melissa
pal
April 02, 2013 08:41AM
Thanks everyone for info God Bless
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login