Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

New here

Posted by jessyoga 
New here
March 14, 2013 11:37AM
Hi, I was on here years ago and found this forum very helpful and insightful. My husband is at risk. His mom died from the disease in 1995, shortly after we started dating. I am 44 and my husband is 48, about the age of onset of his mom. I see small signs, but then again am not sure. When we are sitting next to each other, at church or in a movie, he is VERY fidgetty, legs moving, head moving etc. He also nods and shakes his head a bit excessively, sometimes for example if a person is talking in a group setting, like the sunday school teacher. Otherwise I don't see signs. He's in law enforcement at a high level, works long hours and does very well, gettting excellent reviews and doing well in his firearms training. Sometimes though I feel so anxious about it, it's debilitating. We don't have any extended family support, that's another whole story. I just have my mom who is wonderful and I love her, but she lives 2,000 miles away and has some serious health and financial issues herself. My husband's family is not close. In fact he has a brother who lives near us who he's estranged from, and he is near the end stages. His grown daughter reached out to us recently. Our kids are 9 and 11. My hope is that if he does have this disease, my kids will be raised first!!! Right now they do very well, at school and in athletics. We do have a very strong neighborhood and church community too. We live in the DFW area and would love to connect to others around here. He was participating in COHORT but that ended. Look forward to meeting othters in this community.
Re: New here
March 14, 2013 07:56PM
Welcome Jessy! Glad you are back and hope we can be helpful. The COHORT data is very important. Tell your husband thank you for participating. I believe the data is going to be rolled over into a new study, Enroll-HD, so you might want to check back and see if the medical center is participating in the new study.
March 15, 2013 09:44AM
Welcome Jess.

Your friends and church community will be great support if indeed your husband becomes symptomatic. You are fortunate to have them.

My kids were 5 and 6 when their dad became symptomatic. It has definitely challenged me in many ways, but I think they are very resilient and doing well, despite the challenges that HD brings to our family.

I hope you do not have any reason to worry, but know you have friends here.
Patty
March 15, 2013 07:58PM
Jessy welcome back. It sounds like you have a good support group with Church and such. We all age and who knows what is aging and what is a symptom. I too spent some years in law enforcement and as long as he can function go for it.

Earlier today I read your post and thought about it. Have you and your husband considered STD and LTD. It is something I feel you should consider before any testing. Get insurance in place, check waiting periods, etc. If you should need it you will have it. There are some caveats but be aware of them. You won't be able to get this after testing. If not for having this in place (not knowing about HD) we would be in more dire straights than we are now.

Good luck to you and your family,

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login