Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

need help

Posted by wallettce 
need help
February 14, 2013 07:06AM
I am so afraid that my husband is going to have a mell down he start saying i have a boyfriend and that he is not stupid that he wants a divorce, I called his doctor and said to give him an extra pill abilify and I did last night, this morning he seems the same, we have an app in san diego with Doctor Blum I hope we can make it and dont get worse that what it is right now he said he hear me talking to someone name Big and thats my boyfriend please if you have any idea please suggest me what to do.
Re: need help
February 14, 2013 07:59AM
We went through the same thing. Paranoia, thinking I was cheating. I hope he settles soon. I don't know how long it takes for the Abilify to have an effect, but some of these meds take a good week to settle in and do their job. Keep trying to be reassuring and calm. Deny calmly. Don't get dragged into a fight, it will only fuel his suspicion. I hope you can get through this soon..

Take care,
Patty
February 14, 2013 08:50AM
You will love Doctor Bloom she has an excellent way of relating to people. If there is something that can be done with medications she will know about it. I'll keep you and your husband in my prayers
February 14, 2013 11:54AM
thanks I hope the medicine works fast.
February 14, 2013 02:55PM
Wallettce-

Are you safe? Do you feel unsafe? Is there someone that can stay with you?

Remember - your safety is priority one. You cant help someone if you are injured or feeling threatened.
February 14, 2013 10:07PM
Noreaster, thank you for your concern about my sefety, I do feel safe I live with my son and my daughter just move in last year to help me out with her father I keep safety in the house he has never try to hurt me or anyone in the house and I always make sure that when he gets like this me and my kids comunicate if we have any fear staying in the house and so far we are ok, we do have options to go somewhere if we feel unsafe. thanks again.
JFB
February 15, 2013 05:59AM
been through similar

I ignored and changed the subject. Simply asking "what do you want for diner?" or "what is that TV show about?" this worked for me till the SSRI finally brought back a little more normalcy
February 15, 2013 10:31PM
sorry for my ignorance what is the SSRI
eve
February 16, 2013 08:52AM
SSRI is an abreviation for medication known as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (explains how it works) that is usually used for mental health issues. Here's more about it: [en.wikipedia.org]
February 16, 2013 09:37AM
thanks eve
February 17, 2013 04:18PM
maybe someone can light me on this my husband is somehow normal on everything except mental, I just wonder if someone knows about a medicacion that works for that he is taking abilify and is not working very good, I have an appoitment in San Diego Tuesday and would like to know some names of drugs specificate for this so I could tell the doctor, please I will appreciate any suggestions.
February 17, 2013 04:56PM
Many doctors have different treatment approaches, and unfortunately, what works for one person with HD may not be as effective for another. My husband's delusions did not get under control until he started on Risperidone. He has been on that one since he was first symptomatic. When he starts to get aggressive again, that is the med we dose up a bit. Started on 0.5mg twice daily.....tapered up to 1.5 within months to get some good effect. (also benefits the chorea) now 5 years later, he is on 3mg twice daily in addition to a bevy of others. He does not seem to be bothered by many side effects from this one, so it is a good fit for him....but you may hear back from someone else on here that Risperidone was bad for their PHD. It sometimes seems like a crap shoot.
February 17, 2013 07:33PM
thanks everyone
February 22, 2013 01:41PM
My husband had and still has the same issues. He has been on a huge list of meds and nothing has really worked for him. He did start out on risperidone, but after a couple of years had a reaction that put him in The hospital. He is now in a nursing home and they are having a hard time getting him under control. Good luck! Fortunately everyone is different and I'm sure that the doctor will be able to find something that will work for your husband.
November 30, 2013 12:39PM
I have to tell you that according to my HD husband I have been and am now still having an affair, even though I do not go anyplace except the grocery store and I am only gone for about 1 hour and come back with groceries. If I watch a program on TV I am looking lustfull at a man on the program...and it goes on and on...
This is HD, and as his doctor told me "get tough skinned"
VRE
November 30, 2013 10:08PM
We haven't EXACTLY had this issue, although my husband has decided I can't play words with friend with any men...lol The words are "suggestive " and that is disrespectful to him for me to do that. Meanwhile he is chatting it up with all his therapists and old gal friends on Facebook. I am not the jealous type, so none of that really bothers me in that way. I have and won't ever give him a reason to worry that I would ever be unfaithful, and I can't imagine how that conversation would go down in my house!!!!

On another note:
My husband never used to like or drink beer, but now almost every night he has a beer or two and frankly that has helped his disposition greatly. Not really enough to get drunk on, but something about the combo with his meds just calms him and makes him more pleasant. I figure that the guy has a terminal disease and I'd give him Heroin if I thought it would make him feel better. Not sure I could fully recommend a beer as THE solution, but has gotten him through a few panic attacks and seems to help him feel better. Probably best that I don't like to drink much, or I'd just probably get sloshed daily!!!
Hang in there and be safe. We are all in this friggin ark with you and I will be praying for you, the meds and some peace!

Vicky
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login