Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

service dogs

Posted by PK 
PK
service dogs
February 09, 2013 08:27AM
Do you now of any one who has a service dog to assist them with HD symptoms?

Thanks,
Pam
Re: service dogs
February 13, 2013 09:30AM
Over the years I have talked to several people in the business of raising and training service dogs/animals about the feasibility of getting one for Linda. Once we get through "this is Huntington's Disease", it is clear the many facets of pHD, it's unpredictable and individualized progression would make extremely difficult to identify what to train the animal for, movement, speech issues? not to mention the unarticulated body and mental signals - plus the pHD will change during the lengthy animal training phase which will impact on learned skills. Couple that with the extensive training required of the pHD to command and use a service animal makes the task a very high mountain to climb. The major benefit we saw was that an animal would be a welcomed companion providing a calming effect for the pHD.

That said - other than your post Pam, I have seen or heard little activity about pHD/service animal interaction, so it may be time for a do good organization to get involved.

Fred Lothrop
February 14, 2013 07:57AM
I use my dog as a service dog. He is a large Boxer and strong enough to help with balance. He was trained locally in advanced obedience and for balance issues when he was two years old (already our dog) and has been working with me for three years. He has a harness like you would see on a guide dog and when I tell him "hold" and grab onto it, he supports me. I don't lose my balance with regular straight walking, but when I'm in a store and looking around at the shelves or making quick turns, I tend to lose my balance. I also feel like when he is right at my side, he is a steady-ing factor. Sometimes I feel like I'm weaving or not walking in a straight line. I don't know if I really am or not. But when I have Champ, he keeps me walking straight.

He goes everywhere with me and that includes when I go for my yearly visit to the HD Center of Excellence at UVA. The top neurologist at the clinic loves that I use Champ and said she thought it was a great idea for pHD's.

Patty
PK
February 14, 2013 09:50PM
Thanks that was really good information. You have to have a dog certified to use in stores,etc.
February 15, 2013 09:19AM
I registered my dog at the usarplus website. The United Service Animal Registry. There is a small fee and they send you a wallet card to carry with your animal identified as a service animal. There is no certification program needed. Of course a dog needs to be trained to be used properly, but does not need to go through an accredited program.

Champ goes to doctors, hospitals, physical therapy office, grocery stores, all other stores, etc., with me. Only once has someone questioned his presence and that was in a Sears store where they had had someone bring in a dog that was not a service animal. She told me Champ couldn't be there and I told her that he was a service dog (which was obvious by his harness). She then said Okay. I did not need to show his card identifying him as such, but I do always carry it with me. The following was taken from the USARPlus website and is the law on access for service animals.

Service animals are animals that are individually trained to perform tasks for people with disabilities such as guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling wheelchairs, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, or performing other special tasks. Service animals are working animals, not pets.

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), businesses and organizations that serve the public must allow people with disabilities to bring their service animals into all areas of the facility where customers are normally allowed to go. This federal law applies to all businesses open to the public, including restaurants, hotels, taxis and shuttles, grocery and department stores, hospitals and medical offices, theaters, health clubs, parks, and zoos.

Caption: Businesses that serve the public must allow people with disabilities to enter with their service animal.

Businesses may ask if an animal is a service animal or ask what tasks the animal has been trained to perform, but cannot require special ID cards for the animal or ask about the person's disability.

People with disabilities who use service animals cannot be charged extra fees, isolated from other patrons, or treated less favorably than other patrons. However, if a business such as a hotel normally charges guests for damage that they cause, a customer with a disability may be charged for damage caused by his or her service animal. A person with a disability cannot be asked to remove his service animal from the premises unless: (1) the animal is out of control and the animal's owner does not take effective action to control it (for example, a dog that barks repeatedly during a movie) or (2) the animal poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others. In these cases, the business should give the person with the disability the option to obtain goods and services without having the animal on the premises. Businesses that sell or prepare food must allow service animals in public areas even if state or local health codes prohibit animals on the premises. A business is not required to provide care or food for a service animal or provide a special location for it to relieve itself. Allergies and fear of animals are generally not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people with service animals. Violators of the ADA can be required to pay money damages and penalties.
February 15, 2013 11:33AM
don't know the answer Pam.

Asked the question of [www.medicalservicedogs.com] .

Will let you know if I get a response.

Fred
February 15, 2013 05:37PM
That's really interesting Patty. Your description of balance, turning, etc, fit a lot of my issues. Weird you weave and don't know if you are walking a straight line. Good descripiton.

How does a person go about getting a service dog or having one trained? Do they mix with untrained pets well?

Mike
February 16, 2013 06:14PM
I did some quick internet research and there is at least one agency that will supply service dogs to patients with HD It is: wilderwood.org

Paula
February 16, 2013 06:15PM
Pam,
Here is the response from medicalservicedogs, inc. I may be a cynic, but I find the response typical of the lack of understanding by "support/service" activies and organizations of the interlaced issues faced by pHDs. No answer to the question about experience with service dogs and HD. So, by default, they don't. Think I will chase this one a bit more, it has been a while.

Maybe some of the national activities have more insight pHDs and service dogs.

"Hi Fred~

Thank you for your inquiry. We train dogs to mitigate the challenges of a disability. In the case of Huntington disease, it would depend on what challenges you are faced with. We do train for mobility assistance and other things depending on the individual scenario.

You didn't say what you were hoping a service dog could assist you with or where you are located. We are in Florida and have a long waiting list for a donated dog. If you are not in our area, I would recommend contacting organizations near you to see if they can assist you."

Warm Regards-
Carol Borden
Founder & Executive Director
Guardian Angels Medical Service Dogs, Inc.
a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
352-425-1981
www.medicalservicedogs.com
February 17, 2013 12:37AM
We have a Service Dog who helps my Husband who has HD....We highly recommend it!! Exeter is a Highly trained Skilled Service Dog from Canine Companion for Independence or CCI.org we had to go through a lot of paperwork and our Neurologist had to right the company and tell why he thought it would Help my Husband also we went to the facility for a all day interview and the trainers researched the disease and decide if one of there dogs would work for HD...after the interview we were notified that Bob was getting a dog...they said anywhere from 1 to 3 years but Bob got his dog 10 months later and he has been the greatest blessing in our HD family...he takes care of all of us....Bob is in the third stage of the disease and Exeter can get him a pop out of the fridge, turn on and off the lights, open and close draws and doors, picks up items Bob drops on the floor, he is trained to pull wheel chairs, to push the button for handicap doors, he pays for purchases, and can even carry a light bag, when Bob falls he is trained to get the phone and bring it to him, I have also trained him to play basketball with Bob as a way to get him out of Bed and get him moving a little...Exeter is a great motivator for Bob. He also loves to hold your hand with his paw and loves to cuddle...him a Bob take many naps together..they are great buddies.....we also have 3 sons at risk and i think Exeter thinks he takes care of all of us...when he senses someone is having a hard day with all this he is right there giving them comfort, it is very touching to watch...Bob, I and Exeter work as a team as Bob is not able to control the dog in public and struggles with some of the commands but i am considered the facilitator and help were Bob is not able...Exeter is trained a little different then a regular service dog...he is trained to work in a team...and they are dogs that are a little calmer that work better with those with cognitive issues...CCI.org is a non profit organization and an amazing company...He was donated to Bob and we are so very thankful for him...I don't know what we would do without this dog and i know Bob would not be doing as well as he is...I will try and post a few pictures of Exeter....Love Nila

Exeter (1 of 1).jpg
Exeter (1 of 1).jpg
February 17, 2013 12:38AM
We have a Service Dog who helps my Husband who has HD....We highly recommend it!! Exeter is a Highly trained Skilled Service Dog from Canine Companion for Independence or CCI.org we had to go through a lot of paperwork and our Neurologist had to right the company and tell why he thought it would Help my Husband also we went to the facility for a all day interview and the trainers researched the disease and decide if one of there dogs would work for HD...after the interview we were notified that Bob was getting a dog...they said anywhere from 1 to 3 years but Bob got his dog 10 months later and he has been the greatest blessing in our HD family...he takes care of all of us....Bob is in the third stage of the disease and Exeter can get him a pop out of the fridge, turn on and off the lights, open and close draws and doors, picks up items Bob drops on the floor, he is trained to pull wheel chairs, to push the button for handicap doors, he pays for purchases, and can even carry a light bag, when Bob falls he is trained to get the phone and bring it to him, I have also trained him to play basketball with Bob as a way to get him out of Bed and get him moving a little...Exeter is a great motivator for Bob. He also loves to hold your hand with his paw and loves to cuddle...him a Bob take many naps together..they are great buddies.....we also have 3 sons at risk and i think Exeter thinks he takes care of all of us...when he senses someone is having a hard day with all this he is right there giving them comfort, it is very touching to watch...Bob, I and Exeter work as a team as Bob is not able to control the dog in public and struggles with some of the commands but i am considered the facilitator and help were Bob is not able...Exeter is trained a little different then a regular service dog...he is trained to work in a team...and they are dogs that are a little calmer that work better with those with cognitive issues...CCI.org is a non profit organization and an amazing company...He was donated to Bob and we are so very thankful for him...I don't know what we would do without this dog and i know Bob would not be doing as well as he is.......Love Nila
February 17, 2013 12:39AM
Sorry i tried sending a pic but don't know how to do it on here...Nila
February 17, 2013 07:10AM
Great news.

Will follow-up and gather more info to provide the folks at John Hopkins so they can advise the pHDs they work with. Suggest all provide this type of information to their support goups, research centers, social organizations and national associations so they can better help other pHDs.

In the words of a grumpy old man from the south of Maryland "information is good, more information is more better".

Thanks Paula and Nila

Fred
February 17, 2013 12:35PM
Just After Shadow, my collie died, in 2000 I decided to train an hearing ear dog myself.for myself. My sister Joanie had a sheltie kennel and I knew how smart they are,so I got Aslana a pured bed sheltie to help me hear. I have read every thing Dr. Stanley Coren has written on the the intelligence of dogs, I did dog abedience using Blanche Saunders methods which Dr. Coren did too. I know enough about dogs to pick an agressive pup and work with them. Idid this by flipping 6 week old aslana on her back hwich she refused to do, and took her home. there is apo when the dog is told to stop alerting yet the action happeneing is still going on and the humans have not resolved IE fire alartm Ross says shaddup, dog goees on barking.
the fact that Aslana was a working dog living in the country mean nothing but in the city stupid people have jobs as secerity, and other stupid countries where they eat dog just dont understand the dog with me is working. It is really the seeing eye dogs that are given acess nad the hearing ear are supposed to have the same but many people only allow acess to guide dog on a harness including the trains and buses. My doctor wrote a letter of my needs as a dsiabled person and i carry my membership in international assocation of dogs for disabled people. I joined this when I found on line. It would be better if all dogs could just go every where once they have passed obedience.I have the lasiest6 MPP Liz Sandels who has not reponded with one lettr over the special diet, now she's in chagre of educatiion.

Walking a dog isgood exercise, I put Aslana on flex line in my pocket zippered up because if im holding the leash my feet go nowhere. WHen I broke my toe I had to get a cane because i cannot srand on one leg and Ifind the cane with an able tripod base which swings aso you walk.

my first walker i outfitted with lights. I had aslana in lead osption o=in front of the walker then I hit a crack in the side walk the walker kept on going ...into the dog nad iflipped over the walker. SO we cahnged to having aslana heal on grass and me on the sidewalk. I go everywhere only where is grass on left.

i read that 75% of hearing ear dogs are denied acess which the deaf community thinks is just one more put down and i agreee.

aslana arthrtis got much worse and i ahd to get a walker she could go on because If pick the dog up an walk I fall. The next walker convertts to wheelchair. Guelph pased a by law that stores are supposed to admit dogs in clothes. So I put a scarf on aslana which says hearing ear dog and go up to market fresh. As sson as I enter the store the manager in right snorting. Someone is sure this dog with converted walker wheelchair is apet. This time I show her the scrf she says not good enoough and I leave the xest store.

other places like sears in dixie rushed up to my sister in walker or wheelchair and offer help. I expect this when I spending my money ass I have done the same in mylife. 90% of guelph has refused acess to me and my walker. with the dog. for the years i live here with end stage hd and godammn poverty i could not have picked a worse place to be but the grandchildren are here

more later

now that i have no teeth the kids are scared of me like nanny mcfie the 3, I see fear in their eyes
February 17, 2013 05:19PM
This brings tears to my eyes. I can picture these friends as you post. I think in the future I would love to have a service dog. We have three dogs in the house now and one very special German Shepard. Bogart is about four now, I wish I had thought of training him sooner. They are like family. I saw a fellow at Mayo last summer with a Doberman that was his service dog, at the time he was not working so Beth and I were able "talk" with him. Sweet dog.

Fred, when you get the information I will take it with me to Mayo in Jacksonville this Spring. I can see where the companionship would help.

Dustblues it's good to see you posting.....

Mike
February 20, 2013 09:34AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login