Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Too Cool

Posted by bluedaisy 
Too Cool
February 05, 2013 10:31PM
Well, my sis's doctors acted as if I was some internet diagnosing fool when I voiced my concerns about the effects of Haldol on my sis. "Did you ever consider this is just a natural result of her progressing disease?" My response "It just seems a little too exceptional that she stopped talking and only would reply 'fine' or 'yup' to any question within 2 weeks of being on haldol!"

So, then they asked her "Are you okay with Haldol?" reply, "Yup." "Do you feel your quality of life is better on Haldol?" reply "Yup." They totally missed the point!!! I was not trying to run my sis life or be her doctor! I was trying to say that she doesn't have a voice or say in anything right now because of her chemical labotomy!

Long story short, thanks to my mom, they took her off haldol and switched to Zyprexa. Her neuro from Uof M movevement disorders said he would put his own family (if they had HD) on haldol because it is an acceptable medication for HD and that her dosage was so low that it wouldn't give her a side effect of what I was explaining (unemotional/vacant). He reassured me it is just the natural progression.

After a month off the haldol, she has some life back in her! She answers the phone with her familiar "What's up?" and I can her sincere question in her comment! She has opinions again instead of her "Yup" and "fine"!!! Of course she still has HD and symptoms, but at least she has her ability to be a person, her own person!!!

The professionals can say whatever they want and cite whatever medical facts they want but they CANNOT take away the proof that I can hear my sister's true voice again!! After 4 months thinking I would never hear it again, I am grateful!!
Re: Too Cool
February 06, 2013 06:37AM
Bravo for your advocacy. She needed for you and your mum to be her voice when she couldn't.
Re: Too Cool
February 07, 2013 08:53AM
Yep, if you aren't your own advocate you are in trouble. I accepted a lot (temporarily) during my quest for an answer to my symptoms. It does pay off. Way to go!!!!!

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login