Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

arrested for D.U.I.

Posted by nancy1958 
arrested for D.U.I.
February 03, 2013 07:10AM
Hi Guys, so glad I found this as I need help.
Last yr the police arrested me for dui as I have slurred speech..I told them to take me to ER for blood as I was drugfree..I spent 3 days in jail as it was a Friday night and couldn't get out till Monday. I live by myself.. I tried to explain my Hd syptoms, but they wouldn't listen. My friend got me out...later they dropped the charges due to my blood tests. I am a RN on disabilty living in south Ga, there are no support groups around. Well yesterday I was driving to the store and I went to reach for something and I swerved for a second, a cop saw me and pulled me over. As she gave me the ticket and explainin it I was answered her questions..she saw my speech was slurred ...she asks me to get out of my car..and puts me by cop car..asking what I am on. I thought here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told her I didn't use anything. I told her about HD in a few words. but she didn't buy it. So she call other cops and they came and ask me what drugs I had in my car! Tell me know and we will be easy on you!!!!!! They looked in my purse and saw a lid to a pill bottle...I told them I have to change my lids as I can't open them. I was out there 2 hrs and they called the drug detective and his drug sniffing dog... So now he is harrasing me..All I could do was cry as I never have been thru anything like that. So the cop circles my car with his dog, and the dog allerted on my drivers side!!!!!! I was like you gotta be kidding me!!!! So again they are WHERE ARE THE DRUGS!!!!!! over and over..I told them I wish there was something in there I DONt use drugs..they searched my car tearin it appart. After being out there 4 hrs dealing with them they let me go.
I am still frazzled. I want to go to the TV station or paper to make people aware of disabled people ....
I need your help! Please tell me what to do... you can call me to as I am soo upset I need to talk to anyone..
thanks,
Nancy Sinkhorn 229-347-0868
Re: arrested for D.U.I.
February 03, 2013 10:35AM
I'll ask Steve and/or Marsha to chime in with the link I'm looking for. It is a "Card" on this site to carry around with you that explains HD to persons such as the police.
February 03, 2013 11:46AM
yeah, after last yr going to jail..I started thinking about looking for a card since my slurring is getting worse. I ordered one on Tuesday ..so I have that coming
February 03, 2013 06:02PM
Here is a similar thread from a few months back [www.hdlf.org] and the link for the pamphlet [www.hdac.org]

Pete
eve
February 03, 2013 08:02PM
Wow that really sucks Nancy. Hopefully the card will help stop any future episodes from happening.
JFB
February 04, 2013 08:57AM
I would question whether a "card" off the internet would be aceptable proof to a LEO.

As a RN, I would think you were aware of the driver license medical evaluation program for your state. This would allow your physician to provide information to the driver's license agency about your condition.

googling, I found this form that allows you to have medical information included on your driver's license
[www.dds.ga.gov]
February 04, 2013 12:22PM
I like the card because it's quick & dirty. I don't know how many pHD's have a license. Laura still carries her expired license for ID but doesn't drive. I have the card in her wallet as a back up. Just incase we get seperated when we are out. Just in case. The card is informational. If you did have a confrontation with the law and whipped out the card I think most officers would take HD into consideration.

Pete
February 04, 2013 03:25PM
I used to keep my records in my car. I drove to Albany, Ga the next town over where I used to work. I went to the TV station..A reporter is calling me tommorow to do a story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't believe it.
this is great. WALB tv
JFB
February 04, 2013 03:42PM
Nancy, I would like to first apologize for quickly repling this am.

I too am appalled at the way the LEOs treated you and hope you get some attention and compensation from them.

Being mishandled by LEO is one of my greatest worry when traveling with the wife. I believe I would go to the extreme if some over zelous LEO was to touch her.

Joe
February 05, 2013 12:14AM
My Husband was arrested 3 times and then un-arressted when they found nothing...he no longer drives but we have now gotten a lab/golden service dog that was donated through CCI.org and he has been the greatest blessing...now when my husband has a melt down in the store there is compassion by others as they see the service dog and know there is a medical condition...when they see him appear drunk there is now compassion when they again see the dog...and of course as he becomes more disabled he picks up all he drops and gets him a Dr. Pepper out of the fridge, turns on and off the lights, helps bring in groceries, open and closes draws and doors...and loves to cuddle..he has helped our whole family and we would highly recommend one for HD to others.
February 06, 2013 07:29PM
I recommend getting an ID bracelet or tags from American Medical ID. [www.americanmedical-id.com]

Of course cards and ID bracelets don't prove that a person has HD and certainly not that a person with HD might not also be intoxicated. But the goal is to disrupt the 'routine' thinking of the police so that instead of their ignoring the person's explanation they stop and consider that it might be possible.

I had one made up for my first husband that stated that he had Huntington's Disease, a neurological disease and to please call his wife, with my name and phone number. That way, if he was unable to process what was being said and couldn't respond quickly, they could call me and I would explain.
February 06, 2013 07:58PM
Hello Nancy. I'm very sorry you had to go through this not once but twice. I spent about 9 years in law enforcement in my younger days and enjoyed every day. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I could not imagine what you and the law enforcement community go through today. It is just appalling to think about the time and the stress you went through. I don't know how to say it but you are right to be upset. LE must act on probable cause and unfortunately all pHD's would be "probable" in my estimation. I am early stage and I too worry about being pulled over. All law enforcement are not bad or trying to be "difficult". They do provide us with a lot of safety. Please remember this when you speak to the media. I am certainly glad you got the interview; I believe you may help make law enforcement and the community aware with your efforts. If still in LE, I would question everything, including a card.

I want to commend the community for not being damning to LE. Most do us a service for little in return.

Nancy,FYI fyi, we drive through Albany on our way to my Dr's at Mayo.

I wish you the best with the interview.

Mike
March 17, 2013 09:05PM
im new here hi nice to meet everyone just wishit was because of beter circomstances. i had the same thing hap to my brother and me. they held us there for about 3 hrs searching my car because the dog found my meds. i keep them in 2 dif bottles. at home and the car just in case i need them. so the bottle they were in was old. they didnt find nything else. when they first pulled us over. they asked me o get out of the car because i was twitching and scowling i must have been nervous. he asked me if i had been drinking or was on drugs i said not driking but i have to take perscribbed drugs. i said there for huntingtons disease. he laughed at me and told me i must have got high at the bank. they gave me a field sobrity test i failed missurbly. but they never gave me a breathalizer. they took me to jail and i was charged with driving under the influance of a narcotic because of my meds. i spent 60 days in jail and my brother had to walk home. its like they cant look outside the box for a second. there was nothing i could do. a lawyer said they can legaly do it because i was under the influance of my meds. i felt it to be a injustice but they didnt. i dont understand how they say they dont discriminate! what about ppl with issues like us. we can them all we want, but they will only listen to what there mind tells them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login