Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Assistive Communication Devices

Posted by normzach 
Assistive Communication Devices
February 01, 2013 06:37AM
Wondering if anyone has experience in using assistive communications devices to help pHDs and care givers with communication issues in advanced stages.
Re: Assistive Communication Devices
February 01, 2013 09:00AM
My daughter has a Dynavox. I wish I could say that it is user friendly and helpful, but it is not. It appears that it is technically obsolete and has not been updated for twenty years. She can actually communicate OK without a device, but we were steered to it when she went for an assessment last June at a communication assessment clinic in Boston. They actually recommended a device made by Apple, but the Dynavox was the only device Medicare pays for. She has a speech therapist come weekly to the house and they spend a bit of time working on the dynavox. The therapist says that she has never seen it be particularly helpful. Phrases must be pre programmed into the device and are rather difficult to access when needed. I do not know if the Apple programs would be better. Since my daughter is not really at the stage where she needs such assistance we are not ready to try it.
February 04, 2013 10:13AM
There are some vocalization programs coming out more recent than Dynavox. You might do well to have a communication assessment by a speech therapist. Even the Apple iPad's are coming up with some vocalization programs using the touch screen and typing.

Low tech has always been out there. A simple communication page of pictures can help a person with very little speech get their needs met. (hunger, toilet, pain, meds, thanks, yes, no etc.)

Speech therapists may also work together with the patient and caregiver to phrase communication in a way the person with HD can respond more easily. Ask questions with 2 choices,or yes/no rather than open ended questions, give the person plenty of time to respond.

I hope you find something that will meet your needs well.

Patty
February 05, 2013 12:03AM
This is the program we were told to get through Apple...Have heard it is a great Assistive Device...My PHD is not ready for it but i think they think it is wise to get them use to it before they need it and then it will be easier for them.

[www.assistiveware.com]
February 05, 2013 05:56AM
Howard, Patty and Nila -- Thanks, appreciae the information

Fred
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login