Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

vermonters!

Posted by mare 
vermonters!
January 24, 2013 01:34PM
I was wondering if there are other vermonters out there. I was thinking of getting to that Burlington support group and wondered
if anyone knows anything about it.
Re: vermonters!
January 24, 2013 04:56PM
Hi Mare,

My Dad, Ian lives in Vermont and he is HD+. He's in the very early stages but I know he would love someone to talk to that is close. Private Message me for more info!
January 25, 2013 03:36AM
Hi, I was born in there but live in OR. I have three uncles in a nursing home that has a Huntington's care unit. I don't know about the Burlington support group but you could look up the contact information probably on the HDSA website. I recently read that there are about 65 HD patients in Vermont according to medicaid records and the HD Research Roster information. I know that my great grandma was the first person I know about with HD but after that I am not sure as it wasn't listed on death records. I find myself wanting to know the history of the gene inheritance in my family but have no answers. I wish that the university or someone would do something like Gina Heffernan's website so that people who live in a certain locale could connect with each other and see if they have common ancestors.
January 25, 2013 10:15AM
If you are interested in looking for familial connections you might try the LDS (mormons) website as well as other genealogy websites. There's a lot of family information out there.
January 25, 2013 12:23PM
I guess that is pretty interesting stuff. Like, my mother's mother was from Ireland and I know my mother inherited it from her. Her family was then from Sangerville, ME .
Is there a nationality that might be more prone.? I heard once that New England had a big population of HD opposed to the rest of the country.
I will check these sites. Thanks!
January 25, 2013 12:35PM
People of European descent have the greatest incidence of HD. Because so many Europeans settled in New England, this area does indeed have a larger HD population.
January 25, 2013 02:02PM
I sometimes wonder too if my husband has any brothers or sisters still living in MA. He was adopted through Catholic Charities and born in Brockton, MA Feb 7, 1968. If anyone has any information, PM me.

Patty
January 25, 2013 04:44PM
well how do you like this nice cold vermont weather yes I am one of the 65 vt that have HD score of 44 found out last year. While I was haveing me nero test Doctor made a follow up 6 months late rbecause he could see it before blood test came back. I go to a Doctor at Fletcher allen. I see you meet my daughter
January 25, 2013 05:16PM
Mare my Dad---> Ian, Ian----> Mary--haha that was my virtual introduction!
January 26, 2013 08:27PM
Nice to meet you both. Yeh Vermont been pretty interesting with all this cold. Then rain this week. I ski so I hate both. I go to Dartmouth. Do you have family also. I came from a big catholic family where my mother believed she was put on this world to procreate. So she had 9 of us. Thats a lot of hd. We've lost 3 from other stuff. 2 so far and one niece are positive. Sad stuff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login