Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

New! (Sort of?)

Posted by stephieGRRL 
New! (Sort of?)
January 22, 2013 11:19AM
Hello, all.

While searching for support groups, I stumbled upon this one, and went to create myself a profile only to find I already had one here? So I guess I'm back, after a 4 year hiatus?

Anyway, I'm mainly searching for an online support group because I don't really have the time to go out physically to groups. I am a part time social work student, and I also work 30-35 hours a week. I'm 22 years old, and have been going back and forth about whether I want to get tested or not. The past few years have been really stressful for me, especially because I am in a committed relationship, and all I am seeing now is the future, which may or may not be bright.

I have just been feeling so alone with myself. The only person I've been able to talk to about this is my mother and my therapist, but no one really gets it unless they're been through it personally, you know? Sometimes, I won't think about Huntington's for months, and will go on with my life as I should, but once something triggers it, I can spiral out of control into a deep depression. I just feel so doomed at times. Though I do not know my outcome, I cannot help but feel as if I am sick. Sometimes I could swear I am showing symptoms, and I just dwell on these things for what seems like forever.

I've always known that I wanted to get married and have kids at a younger age. And because I have Huntington's in my background, it gives me all the more reason to look to settling down sooner. My dad got sick when I was only 6 years old, and I basically grew up not knowing who my father was, and I always hated that. I do not want my future kids to go through the things I went through, at least, not at such a young age.

So I guess I'm just reaching out, seeking some kind of support.
I appreciate those of you who actually read all of this!
-Stephanie
Re: New! (Sort of?)
January 22, 2013 03:47PM
Stephanie,

Welcome back! I remember you. We all "get it" here, as you know. I'm lucky to be still symptom free at age 66. The only time I think about HD is when I'm posting or writing a piece for the HD Blog. I hope you can get there too.

Will
January 22, 2013 06:40PM
Hello Stephanie. Welcome back. Within this forum you are not alone......You did a very good job with describing your situation. My wife is a Social Worker as well and she loves her job. Stay with it. You can do it.

I'm sorry your Dad has this disease. I lost my Father at 6 years old from lung cancer and my Mother did a great job raising me considering what she had to work with.

Please, continue to look to the future. Your therapist (as well as mine) is on the outside looking in. A good therapist in time gets a feel for the person I believe. It may seem the suggestions are not as genuine as you want but as you should know you have to keep a space between you and the client. I get so much from my therapist; I don't always act on it.

I certainly am not qualified but if you test there are still possiblities for children in your future. Don't give up or give in so easily. Consider some of the post about testing, there is an enormous amount of information at your disposal and a great group to help you.

By the way, I think we should make Will our poster child.....

Mike
January 23, 2013 08:22AM
Welcome back Stephanie!

I'm glad to see you are in college and moving forward whether at risk or not. The best advise I have seen on here, I can share with you. Live your live to the fullest. Time is on your side. Live as positively and healthy as you can, whether gene positive or not, you will have a much better outcome if you are treating your body well. Seek out and find support for yourself. I know your life seems very busy now. I was so grateful to find this site, but until I also found other families in our area affected by HD, I felt lost.

Keep stopping by. It's a great group!! Welcome back.

Patty
January 24, 2013 03:03PM
Mike-

That's actually funny you mention your wife is a social worker, because that's the field I am going into! I will definitely check out some other posts soon. I haven't been able to really take a look around this site like I had originally intended.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login