Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Is there a standard HD logo/symbol for a cure???

Posted by mikee 
Is there a standard HD logo/symbol for a cure???
January 15, 2013 08:51PM
Does anyone know of a standardized logo/symbol for an HD cure.

I have a friends daughter who is bringing this up as a Senior class project and of course I want to do my homework first......

Thanks,
Mike
Re: Is there a standard HD logo/symbol for a cure???
January 15, 2013 09:26PM
The blue ribbon is pretty common.
January 16, 2013 07:40AM
Here, in Canada, its a flower, the Amaryllis :

"Our Amaryllis volunteers sell bulb kits to raise vital funds for our programs in research, services and education. Each and every Amaryllis kit we sell takes us one step closer to finding a meaningful treatment for Huntington disease (HD). Each and every Amaryllis kit blooming in someone’s home or business holds the promise of a world free from HD.

Each kit is priced at $12 and contains one high-quality Orange Sovereign bulb, growing instructions, soil, pot and saucer, and is packaged in an attractive gift box. Bulbs can be planted immediately or stored in a cool, dry place for holiday gifts. Gorgeous orange-red blooms will appear approximately 6-8 weeks after planting."

Nancy
January 20, 2013 12:55AM
hello nancy in quebec is that city or pro?
January 21, 2013 07:37AM
Quebec is a province in Canada and i live in Quebec city. Bye !
January 22, 2013 11:11AM
Mike, as has been said it is a stylised Amaryllis:

January 22, 2013 06:45PM
First off, I think the shrimp in a Kilt thing is a great handle......Maybe a great Scottish Seafood restaurant even.....

Thanks for the image. I'm a bit confused about the Amaryllis ( I do have HD).....

Does the flower have a significance with HD or is it a good fit for a fund raiser?

Sorry to ask such a dumb question......

Mike
January 23, 2013 07:51AM
To be fair, the reasoning behind the symbol is a bit convoluted! Here is what Wickipedia has to say:

Wickipedia
A stylized flower of a Hippeastrum cultivar (under its common name of amaryllis) is used internationally as a symbol for organizations associated with Huntington's disease, a genetic degenerative disease of the nervous system. The widely-used logo represents a double image of a head and shoulders as the flower of a growing and vibrant plant. The reduced size of the inner head and shoulders image symbolizes the diminution in a person caused by Huntington's disease. The leaves represent the protection, purpose, growth and development of the Huntington's community worldwide in its search for a cure and treatment.

January 23, 2013 08:37AM
That's great. Thanks.
Mike
January 23, 2013 03:22PM
Actually i believe wiki has that one wrong. I believe the international hd society says on their web page what the symbol means, yes, it represents a beautiful vibrant plant, but what they didn't say is this flower has no stem, representing the disconnect between the brain and the body that happens with hd.
January 23, 2013 03:31PM
Oh gosh, shrimp in a kit is right. I just googled the international hd association, and their explanation of the logo is the same as the one posted by shrimp in a kit. What i posted was what i had read on their web page a few years ago about the logo, but i guess they have changed it since then.
January 23, 2013 05:37PM
Thanks for the information Barb. Just found out today that my "faux grandaugher" got approval from her group at school to take HD as a project. I need suggestions on how to help them make it successful. I think I have to act quickly. I like the bulb sales idea.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login