Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Question for Dr. Jeff Carroll

Posted by Nila 
Question for Dr. Jeff Carroll
January 12, 2013 02:04PM
Hi Jeff just a few questions on your article i found on HDSA.org, was wondering if any of you have heard of Protandim? my Husband has Huntington's Disease and someone sent us a link to this ABC Primetime Report on how it targets Oxidative-stress, we decided to give it a try and Bob has been on it for a month now, we have not got his blood work done yet but are getting that done on friday. After watching the Report would you give me your feedback on it?

The last youtube link is about a lady who's mother has HD and they started giving her Protandim and she went from bed ridden to walking again. Let me know what you think of that also and anyone else who has heard of this let me know what you think! We have not seen any changes in Bob in the last month but we were told to give it at least 4 months as it it natural so it takes longer to work. Thanks for your time. Nila

Jeff's Article

[www.hdsa.org]

ABC Primetime Report

[www.abcliveit.com]

Jill's HD story on Protandim and how it helped her Mom.

[www.youtube.com]
Re: Question for Dr. Jeff Carroll
January 13, 2013 08:25AM
That topic would interested me too.

Nila, have you see improvments with your husbands symptoms?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2013 08:32AM by sarmiento.
January 13, 2013 09:30AM
No not yes...he has only been on it a month and they say to give it at lease four months...hoping for the best!
January 13, 2013 10:15AM
Yes it is very interesting. Maybe Marsha will chime in since she understands these things so well.
Mike
January 13, 2013 10:41AM
I would write to Jeff Carroll via HD Buzz. I don't think he visits this forum.
January 13, 2013 11:15AM
Go to Wikipedia and read what is there. It looks like it is just good promotion through a multi-level marketting scheme. Appears there have been no double-blind human studies done. Not good enough science for me.
January 13, 2013 08:44PM
I did send him an e-mail today so we will see what he says i will let all of you know...Nila
January 13, 2013 09:14PM
I did some internet searches and came up with mixed results. The ABC news reporter "John" (can't spell the last name) did some segments and one is listed above. I attempted to send ABC an email to see what the latest results are since he was a Ginny pig.
Mike
January 14, 2013 04:12PM
This is Jeff's response to my questions,

Hi Nila -

There's been no clinical trial done on Protandim, so from a scientific point of view there's unfortunately nothing to say. As described in that recent article, just blocking oxidative stress might be problematic - there's evidence that some of the stuff that oxidative stress does has a normal role in how the body works.

Some of the compounds in their mix of plants (i.e. green tea and turmeric) have been tested in animal models of HD and shown to be beneficial, but without a human trial it's impossible to say. If the company thinks Protandim works for HD - they should run a trial!

The company said they give no guarantee that this will work, but since it is natural we will give it 4 months if we see no change in Bob i will discontinue it...Nila
January 14, 2013 05:46PM
thank you nila
jeff is right, there are no trials done for these herbs. So no one can say for sure if this stuff is helpful or even make disease worse.
At least for green tea there is a HD human trial in germany now. Results will be published maybe summer 2013

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 05:56PM by sarmiento.
January 15, 2013 12:10AM
Here is a response to Jeff's Article from the people who worked on the protandim study...Not sure I understand it all but maybe some of you will

Hey Team, good morning!

It's been suggested that this article and subject matter be examined a little closer. Here are a few people that have offered up additional data and greater insight regarding the article.

Stu:

The article you recently sent about antioxidants backs up what Dr. Joe McCord says in the ABC Primetime Report that direct antioxidants can sometimes actually be harmful.

However, the author is clearly unfamiliar with indirect antioxidants. He mentions that "super broccoli" (also known as Sulforaphane) "boosts our body's Antioxidant Enzyme levels," but considers this just more hype.

The author is unaware that indirect antioxidants -- such as Protandim and Sulforaphane -- are hugely beneficial, precisely because they boost our body's own antioxidant enzymes. And because they are Nrf2 activators.

In a peer-reviewed study published on pubmed.gov (#9), Protandim was shown to be 6 1/2 times more powerf ul than the broccoli extract Sulforaphane.

Molly Dougherty, Austin
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Stu:
I couldn't agree with you more. As a molecular biologist that use to work with Dr. McCord at the Webb Waring institute in the 1980s we searched for the "holy grail" of antioxidants. We have that in protandim. Anytime you want me to tell your crew the truth let me know!

Doctor Bill Schroeder
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

We have some awesome folks on our Team! Go out with confidence and share the ABC Video... you can't do much more.

Thanks Molly and Dr. Schroeder!

Regards,

Stu
January 15, 2013 05:31AM
I agree with CP. All this has a faint odor of agressive marketing.

Will
January 15, 2013 07:38PM
I agree as well. I received a response from ABC which was a canned response so I wouldn't put a lot of faith in it. Personally, I hesitate to take anything that may have other repercussions. Already found myself in a "super" vitamin marketing scheme.

Mike
January 15, 2013 08:49PM
What do you mean by a canned response? would they not answer your questions...I'm wondering to what is going on now with the reporter that was trying it! Thanks for taking an interest and looking into it...Nila
January 16, 2013 05:35PM
Hello Nila. The response was a cooky cutter letter, you know the generic replies we sometime get. It obviously didn't get very far. Mostly stated they don't take solicitations for programming and I can look at the FAQ sections of their website.

Mike
January 17, 2013 12:02AM
Oh...bummer...Thanks for checking though...Nila
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login