Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Tendency of getting tested

Posted by ptk 
ptk
Tendency of getting tested
January 11, 2013 06:09AM
I was wondering if there is a bigger tendency of getting tested for HD in at-risk persons who after the testing process get a negative result.

If they are more likely to go and make that test because they are more positive emotionally? And those how carry the gene are more unlikely to get the test because they or their subconscious mind are somewhere convinced that they carry the gene.

Any ideeas?

PS: I am not a native english speaker so I want to appologize if what I want to tell isn't clear. And for the bad composition of my sentences.

All the Best,
ptk
Re: Tendency of getting tested
January 11, 2013 04:04PM
ptk,

Welcome. Your English is just fine. I think people who are more emotionally stable are more likely to choose to test, since they might be better able to handle a positive result. However, there are many factors involved in the decision. Those with a stronger family support system might be more likely to test.

Notice I used the word "might" a lot. Everyone is different. Of course the decision to test has nothing to do with having the gene. Either you do or you don't.

Will
January 11, 2013 06:27PM
From my perspective, i dont get tested because i am pretty convinced that i have it. This is not based on any real fact though and i would rather live with the chance that i may not than knowing that i do. I do however have a 4 year old daughter anf know that i will have to test before she gets at an age where she will want to start a family.
eve
January 12, 2013 08:49AM
My husband thought he didn't have it, but he did. But I've read many posts where people thought they didn't have it and then they tested and were right. Also the opposite situation will happen probably just as commonly. A person's thoughts will have nothing to do with the test results. That's just sort of magical thinking. It's true that later in the disease pHDs will often be in denial that they have the disease, but this is once the disease starts. The possibilty of certain results have nothing to do with a person's feelings or intuition before the disease actually starts. Like Will said, either you are positive or negative. Like bsoule pointed out his reason for testing, there can be many different reasons to test. Read through some of the earlier posts here (use the SEARCH area to key in the topic such as REASONS FOR TESTING or whatever) and I think it will be interesting for you to read about everyone's different stories.
January 25, 2013 04:08AM
Some people do NOT test because they are afraid they cannot get out of bed if they test positive, meaning they are afraid of living the rest of their healthy lives in depression over knowing what is to come, or maybe they are afraid they'd leap to suicide.

Some people DO test because they feel the unknown is scarier than if they could know their fate; sometimes people test to make career or family decisions.

Said another way, for some people denial or avoiding the test is a way they can cope and live for today. For others, having as much information as possible is a way they can plan how they will live for today and plan for the future.

It's been about 10 years since I tested. I couldn't stand not to know. My gene status invaded my thoughts all the time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login