Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Question

Posted by cbreeze 
Question
January 06, 2013 10:12PM
For all who have HD, and those who are family or friends of someone with HD. I wanted to know if curling toes under feet was a characteristic noticed before testing was ever done. My son who has JHD, and his father with late stage HD both would sit and watch tv etc, and have their toes bent under their feet. They did it involuntary, but when asked they say it just feels good. Was wondering of anyone here ever noticed that trait. Could be nothing, just something I noticed before either had any other symptoms.
Re: Question
January 07, 2013 06:51PM
I am 49 yr old At-Risk and I do that, I am afraid that it probably is a symptom. My HD Mom never does/did it though.
January 07, 2013 08:01PM
My ex-husband and his brother both did that toe curling thing. Both were diagnoised HD over a period of time. The other thing in retrospect I remember is my ex- not being able to keep steady pressure on the gas pedal of a car he was driving. That started really early. The other things he started was a hand waving over his head or scratching motion, and asking others to repeat what was said. I came to realize that it was a processing issue because if I didn't repeat myself he would answer my question.
January 07, 2013 08:13PM
It may not be a symptom. I just wondered who did that, that has HD, or jhd. I know symptoms vary in everyone. My mother in-law, x-husband and son all do that, and it was something that I had seen in my husband before I knew of HD. When I saw my sons do that, I worried. My now 18 yr old son has Jhd, and he did that since he was small. Just something they all had in common. Wasnt sure if it was HD related, or just something else in family traits. I personally can't sit and do that.

I do hope you are not afflicted with HD. May just be something some people can do, and others can't. My son says it feels good to bend/ curl ties under when sitting.
January 07, 2013 08:32PM
My son was slower with processing that started when in 9th grade. He finished his senior year on home bound, so he would was able to go at his own pace with his school work. Said he wanted to graduate, and that he did.
January 08, 2013 02:02PM
No, my husband did not curl his toes prior to the diagnosis. He did however move them alot. Especially rubbing the big toe and second toe together. He too said it felt good.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login