Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

congestion

Posted by mae88 
congestion
December 29, 2012 05:22PM
Hi everyone!

I have a question about congestion. My mom (CAG 44 mid-stage) has horrible congestion. It's to the point that I think she has pneumonia every morning with how bad she coughs and how raspy her voice is. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a normal part of HD? Her doctor just says to let her cough until she gets it all up, but I know she's really uncomfortable. It's been going on for about a year now. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!
Re: congestion
December 29, 2012 08:55PM
Swallowing issues could be contributing to persistent coughing. You might check to see if swallowing studies are offered in your area. If she's coachable then she might benefit from some advise based on the study.
rj
January 01, 2013 09:55PM
Usually you will run fever with pneumonia, and if it's been going on for a year, maybe a swallowing study?
January 02, 2013 06:58AM
I feel badly even suggesting this, but my father had congestion and constant coughing prior to be being diagnoised with lung cancer. His doctor had him on three rounds of different antibiotics and when they did nothing, sent him for a chest X-ray. Maybe a chest X-ray would be useful just to rule out anything more serious.
January 05, 2013 10:05PM
some of the medicine that they take could be a sideefect for that , because thats why my husband has seems that they have alergies , I ask the doctor he said if it gets worse we need to think in changing madication.
January 09, 2013 03:39PM
Hi all I can say is that Chi Gung breathing excersizes are good,they get the 'Chi' subtle energy flow moving.
Also Oolung Tea...( see www.karuna.org.uk for info ,under the Way of health )on a daily basis is always good, and of course freshgrated rooit ginger tea with lime or Lemon juice ,perhaps some Liqourice root tea from time to time too will help.
Sorry cant offer anything more.
Janta.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login