Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Hi everyone..

Posted by Jon S. 
Hi everyone..
December 28, 2012 05:07PM
Hi All, My name is Jon and My wife and mother in-law both have HD and live in the same house.
I've been looking for a good forum that could help with support, as i am over whelmed with all this and we have 4 children along with my full time job.

Any good advice would be helpful and new friends are always welcome.
Re: Hi everyone..
December 28, 2012 08:31PM
Welcome to HDLF Jon.

I'm glad to see that I didn't accidentally unregister you during the user database cleanup I did today. smiling smiley

We have a lot of information on this site written by HD family members about their experiences that you might find helpful.

We are working on restructuring the site to make it easier to find information that you can useful in your situation so please let me know what you have difficulty finding.

Steve
December 28, 2012 09:46PM
Hello, Jon! This is a great support forum. The people here have sound advice and are really the only people who I've found who really get a lot of the issues I've experienced with HD.
eve
December 29, 2012 09:08AM
Welcome Jon. You're among friends here. Sometimes there are differences of opinions (like any family), but we all are in this together. I think you'll find great support here.
December 29, 2012 01:34PM
Hi Jon.

You've come to the right place. This site and its support was so valuable when HD entered our lives 5 years ago. My husband has HD, and I have 2 kids at risk. You've got plenty of friends here!! Do your wife and monther in law both live with you and the 4 kids. My that must be busy. I needed to cut down to part time work when my husband was no longer able to help around the house. I felt that I was getting so far behind in all of my "jobs" both in and outside the home, that I wasn't doing any of them effectively. Since decreasing my hours, I am able to be a better mother, spouse, household manager etc. We were fortunate that my husband is already qualified for SSDI.

The biggest challenge I would say I face is balancing the needs of 3 family members, all of which need to have their needs met first. I do often defer to my husband to keep him from becoming impatient, the kids sometimes have a hard time with that, but in the long run, they are beginning to understand.

Stop on by and let us know how things are going. The search option is great for looking up subjects that may have been discussed in the past. We've all been there, chances are we've experienced something just as you are.

Take care,
Patty
December 31, 2012 10:35PM
Welcome Jon this is a great place to get information from people that knows what you are going thru, if we can help you in anything let us know, My husband has HD and he was by himself during the day almost for a year until he had a melldown and I have someone to come and stay with him until I get home from work I dont think I am able to stop working at the moment we found out about HD two years ago and trying to pay off some bill before I stop working, and get a little stable , I dont know how are your mother in law and your wife if you able to leave them by themself or need a relative or someone to help you with them.
January 04, 2013 11:14AM
Welcome Jon!

Carla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login