Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Off Subject...What's your New Year's tradition

Posted by mikee 
Off Subject...What's your New Year's tradition
December 27, 2012 09:06PM
We are all so serious most of the time.....I would like to be un-serious......

What are your New Year's tradition's......

I'll tell you our life long tradition's in the south if you'll tell me your's.

Mike
Re: Off Subject...What's your New Year's tradition
December 28, 2012 07:48AM
There aren't a lot of New Year traditions going on in our household but there is a pattern of repeated futile behavior.

- I always resolve to spend more time on the Web site.

- I always resolve to "get my act together".

- I always resolve to stay in touch with family much better than the previous year.

- I always resolve to start working on my next killer app or my book that will set the next standard for software development.

We were trying to start a new tradition with going down to Chincoteague Island in VA to watch the Horseshoe Drop (similar to the apple drop in NYC but on a slightly smaller scale) but due to logistical issues we are not likely to make it this year. sad smiley

Steve
Cleanup
December 28, 2012 09:10AM
We used to go to an event called First Night, which was a musical venue held in many locations in NY, NJ, and probaby other states. One would buy a ticket and then walk from venue to venue and see a variety of performances. However, alt and I are 71 and 68 years old now and stopped going about 8 years ago when we decided it was too cold to walk aroundrtill midnight to do this. We did love it whenn we were in our forties and fifties.and loved watching the fireweoks in the bitter cold.
December 28, 2012 03:43PM
New years is a time of reflection and to set new goals for another year. I want to learn a few more songs on my quitar, to sing more, write more here as well as get my book started. To spend more time with my family. To be cured of HD.
My big wishes for the new year are:

No more lives torn apart.
That wars would never start.
And time would heal all hearts.
And everyone would have a friend.
And right would always win.
And love would never end.

Hope everyone has a great new year. I am hoping 2013 is much less stressful then 2012 has been all things concidered...
Happy new year's everyone.
Kelly B

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2012 03:48PM by Kelly B.
December 28, 2012 03:45PM
[www.wral.com] No further comment needed. We usually have blackeyed peas on New Year's Day for good luck - an old Southern tradition.

Will
December 28, 2012 03:55PM
We gave up on trying to stay up till midnight years ago but when the kids were little we would go outside and make a bunch of noise at midnight and then go to bed. Now I have a hard time making it past 10:30 on any given night. Laura has an easier time of staying up though. Our only real tradition is to have pork roast & sour kraut on New Year’s Day. Now that we are in the south we are told to eat greens for money, collards, turnip greens or cabbage - corn bread for health - hog jaws for luck or pork -(we settled for ham) - and black eye peas for coin. I was also told not to do any laundry on New Year’s Day. I have no idea why so I will carry on the tradition of catching up with the laundry on Tuesday.

What the heck is a hog jaw?

Pete
December 28, 2012 05:57PM
It's some of the best fat laden pork you'll ever have......it's actually Hog Jowl......smoked is my favorite.

We don't stay up late normally. Our family and friends gather on New Years day hoping once again our southern tradition of Hog Jowl, blackeye peas, greens and some form of cabbage bring us prosperity. My family has practiced this tradition as long as I remember. Come to think of it, how much do you have to eat over the years for it to work. It's something my Mother always did for us and I try to carry on the tradition. My son is home on leave and he and his wife have already placed their order, his younger brother won't miss it either.

Maybe prosperity isn't measured in monetary terms..........
December 29, 2012 03:52PM
Pittsburgh is a very European rich ethnic area.
Pork and Sauerkraut is big in this area.
We also enjoy the New Years Pretzel (which is actually a danish) on New Years Day.

I wish everyone a wonderful New Year. Here's hoping 2013 will finally bring the cure we are all hoping for.

Patty C
December 29, 2012 06:11PM
Happy New Year to all!

Our family usually plays games and eats and eats and eats some more.
Mexican Train is a favorite game and all but the littlest kids can play.
When the kids (and us) were younger, First Night was a fun event but now I prefer the warmth of home.

May your 2013 be the very best! I know mine will, cause I'm bringing my kid home!!

Carla
December 30, 2012 12:56PM
I am from the netherlands and we eat Oliebollen and the kids have their fireworks to make lots and lots of noise! We stay up till very late!
December 30, 2012 08:36PM
I'm really surprised at the interest.....that's great. You know, if we make it through another year it will be a good year. My prayers to all of you and enjoy. I think of all of you these days. I miss being away from the post.

My hope is we see a cure for this disease in the near future, then we can all have a great time talking about the future.

Mike
December 31, 2012 08:40PM
iHI ALL ,
I AM NEW TO THIS SITE, BUT BEING AS I AM FROM SOUTH LOUISIANA,BORN AND BRED...THE NEW YEARAS DAY FEAST INVOLVES CABBAGE - FOR GOOD HEALTH AND BLACK=EYED PEAS FOR WEALTHFish smiley[/sup][/b]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login