Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Wellbutrin

Posted by Hope2 
Wellbutrin
December 27, 2012 11:47AM
Anyone have good luck with Wellbutrin? Husband now on paxil and abilify and they are suggesting a switch to wellbutrin.

thanks very much!
Re: Wellbutrin
January 11, 2013 02:10PM
I personally had issues with wellbutrin and then lexapro. This started when I used wellbutrin to quit smoking before I knew I was HD positive and started feeling pretty crazy. This was the first time I thought something might be wrong. I was also menopausal so that was affecting me.

When I tested positive for HD my doctor put me on lexapro. I also had bad time with this, though I thought I was just getting HD. I don't have symptoms yet and now I know didn't at that time. My face started twitching and my doc increase my dosage. It felt like it was poisioning me. My sister had told me that she had bad issues with SSRIs. I ended up taking myself off the medication and am doing great. I also on the other side of menopause. I do walk and take supplements everyday since I started on this site and am doing really well.

I just wanted to let you guys know since I did see reference to some having problems with SSRIs.
January 12, 2013 07:14PM
I had a very bad experience with wellbutrin. It is an amphetamine, and is in the same family as speed. Dr LaVonne even says on her webpage, that it is the one anti-depressant that she will not prescribe to her patients with hd. I've actually had very good success with a low dose of effexor in the mornings, and seroquel at bedtime, but i do know Marsha is right that some people react to it. So sorry what you're going through
January 13, 2013 06:10PM
Barb, so nice to see you posting again. I missed your wisdom.
eve
January 13, 2013 06:34PM
I too am glad to see your wise posts also. We've missed you and hope everything is going well for you.
January 15, 2013 04:02PM
I've been on wellbutrin and cymbalta for several months after switching from zoloft for year (it just wasn't as effective any more). I am in the early stages and I found that my twitching decreased some. It wasn't a huge amount but I was so desperate that I'm still taking it. Nothing has helped my being tired all the time. It has only increased in severty over the years.
January 20, 2013 09:01AM
Terry has been on Abilify for quite awhile. Last year the dr added Wellbutrin for depression. I was concerned because I knew he might lose weight on it. He did but only about 10lbs. It's done well to relieve his depression but now we have had to add another medication to help with his appetite. I didn't exactly like that idea but it's all working very well. His low pulse rate has come up from a couple of years ago and he's doing very well all things considered.

Audrey
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login