Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

SSI, ect Medicaid

Posted by nytdreamer80 
SSI, ect Medicaid
December 19, 2012 01:05PM
Hello everyone. I am hoping someone here can help with a few things. My father currently resides with me and has NO Insurance. He has NO monthly income whatsoever as he has been living off a large inheritance he recieved from my grandfather 15 years ago. As of right now we are down to 6,000 in the bank, sold off his house, took out all his retirement, ect. I am trying to get him into a nursing home (so need to apply for the nursing home medicaide, NOT community). Some places are telling me he wouldnt qualify for nursing home because he doesnt have any sort of income. Long story short, he has been out of work since 2000 and he was being stubborn and hard headed and wouldnt apply for disability. Now its been too long and bc of that he wont qualify for that. I have been advised to apply now and wait for the denial letter and them move forward. I know for medicade you have to have 2000 or less and for SSI. Is SSI hard to get? All of this is just so overwelming and his money is dwindling. I have to pay caregiviers to take care of him while I work full time so I know within 2 months all of his money will be gone. IS HD one of the diseases on the SSI list that will automatically qualify him clinically?? Any input would be appreciated. I am so stressed and am afraid I will run out of money before any decisions are made. Currently my father is under hospice care for the last 2 years and they are doing the work pro bono until his medicade kicks in.
Re: SSI, ect Medicaid
December 21, 2012 01:03PM
Both HD and JHD have been assigned compassionate allowance this year, which means the Ssdi should be approved with proper physician documentation. In most states, he'll need to either spend down to $2000, or move his assets into a special needs trust to apply and qualify for Medicaid. A consult with a special needs or senior care attorney would be money well spent. Good luck with meeting his needs.
My husband is 44, and has not worked for over 5 years. He qualified for SSDI, and is already on Medicare. He is able to manage at home while I work part time, but it is challenging to get ev erything else done. When the time comes, we'll need to apply for Medicaid, then I hope to be able to access the Nursing Home Waiver program to aid his care at home. Hope springs eternal! Good luck.
December 21, 2012 03:10PM
Thank you patty for responding! Awesome to know HD is on the list. All of this is just so dang overwelming.
December 22, 2012 09:41PM
If he has his HD diagnosis, documentation for SSDI should not be a problem. The HDSA has been very instrumental in getting this passed. States vary greatly in their administration of Medicaid, but it can't hurt to apply.
cj
January 05, 2013 06:37PM
Just got my wife approved for SSI. Took me about 6 months, but now that they have actually put it on the compassionate allowance may move faster. You have to be persistant. I had to go around the people we were assigned to. You just have to find someone who cares.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login