Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

escitalopram vs. Lexapro

Posted by eve 
eve
escitalopram vs. Lexapro
December 11, 2012 03:50PM
Just wondering if anyone knows if there's any difference in neuroprotection between the generic and the name brand. I've found some comments on-line from people using Lexapro for depression who swear that the generic was causing many negative side effects that ceased when they resumed the name brand Lexapro. I wonder if it's worth it to change to the generic?
Re: escitalopram vs. Lexapro
December 12, 2012 05:37PM
Hi Eve. So Lexapro (or generic) has neuroprotective properties. I would be interested in the side effects.
Mike
eve
Re: escitalopram vs. Lexapro
December 12, 2012 07:11PM
If you do a search about SSRI (selective seratonin reuptake inhibitor is what I think that stands for) you'll see that it is thought that they may help protect the brain cells. There are several and this is one. I think a study is being done about one called Celexa (generic is Citalopram) to see if it helps with HD. Google it to see the side effects. Here's one site that seems reputable: [www.webmd.com] You always have to weigh the pros and cons of taking any medication. For us, it has made a very great difference with my hubby's mood. He really seems to have no bad side effects.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login