Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Help - Advice

Posted by frankwilli83 
Help - Advice
December 05, 2012 02:44PM
Hi Everyone.

This is my first time posting. My name is Frank and I am 29. My mother is 51 and has been dealing with the effects of HD since 2002. She had 10 years of pychiatric and cognitive problems before she just started having movements this summer. I am writing because I wonder if anyone has had any experience with their loved one going to jail and being prosecuted. My mother does not have a record. She is not a criminal and never did 'bad' things but since the movements have started she has had two incidents of setting fires at her assisted living residences. 6 weeks ago she set her second fire and they decided to press charges this time. The doctor at the local hospital refused to blue paper my mother so after spending two days at a walk-in mental health center they took her to jail. I understand that she committed a crime and that something has to be done, but I don't see her sitting in jail as a reasonable thing. I can't pay for a lawyer for her and she has a young court appointed attorney with less then a year of law experience and definitley no mental health experience that I am aware of. I just feel like they are going to try her like she is normal (I hate to use this word), I mean it's like they don't recognize that she has HD and how impaired she really is. They just see her 15 mins at a time and they don't know any different, she presents well like most HD patients do. She has sat in jail for 6 weeks now with no pysch eval! I just wish their was some kind of advocate that dealt with lawyers for support on such cases, does anyone know of any service like this? I just don't like her lawyer either, he still hasn't contacted me even though my mother said she told him to and he has told her that his advice is to not speak to anyone about the case, including myself. I wish I was still her guardian so i had more insight into the day to day going ons, but I got screwed out of that by the state when they made me declare that I was unable to take care of her before they would step in and help us out after my mom was inappropriately kicked out of an assisted living situation and I had no where for her to stay. I couldn't let her go homeless and just having her at my place for 6 weeks almost ended my 5 month marriage. So anyways, I apologize, the last part there was just a little bit of a rant. I don't talk about this stuff much, I bottle it up inside and then every six months or so I just kind of cry it out. I appreciate any feedback if anyone has experience with legal issues because of what a loved one has done. Thank you and God Bless. I hope to respond to some of the posts on here. My heart goes out to everyone with posts. It makes me sad to read the other posts but at the same time I don't feel as alone.
Re: Help - Advice
December 05, 2012 03:20PM
What a horrible situation.

Call HDSA's support line for help:

800-345-HDSA (4372)

You'll be connected with their national social worker who might be able to connect you with an appropriate local resource.

Steve
December 06, 2012 09:51AM
I think this issue is addressed on the Lighthouse by Phil Hardt. Basically, without consequential thinking due to her impaired brain function, she should not be prosecuted, she should be protected. This is a travesty!

Keep us posted,

Carla
eve
December 06, 2012 07:48PM
This is heartbreaking, Frank. Don't give up hope. Check the resources that Steve and Carla listed. Keep us posted. We care.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login