Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Question?

Posted by ihavelove7 
Question?
December 01, 2012 04:46AM
Does anyone know if taste and smell is a symptom? I have noticed over 2 months now mine has changed. Things taste and smell different and stronger.
Thanks for your time
Re: Question?
December 01, 2012 07:23AM
I can't say for sure but I lost my taste and smell a couple of years ago before being diagnosed. I haven't read where anything saying it was a symptom.
Mike
December 01, 2012 08:56AM
There is a smell test in the PREDICT-HD study.

Will
December 01, 2012 09:17AM
Not sure, but my sis has HD and she lost her sense of smell years ago
December 02, 2012 12:06PM
Gee, is that interesting. I'd like to see more about this.

If there is a smell test in the predict HD does that mean it is a symptom?
Mike
December 02, 2012 03:23PM
Mike - Yes. The smell test involves a bunch of different scratch and sniff tests - everything from cloves to cinnamon to turpentine.

Will
December 02, 2012 04:21PM
Thanks Will. Unfortunately I lost my sense of taste and smell about two years ago. I saw Dr's about it at Mayo but it was not mentioned as one of the symptoms. I'll have talk to them about this next trip.
Thanks
Mike
December 03, 2012 09:40PM
My sense of smell and taste have been affected too.

Margie
December 03, 2012 09:49PM
Thank you everyone for responding. I am so glad I found this site!
Please keep me updated on this!
December 04, 2012 05:48PM
My ex-husband's sense of smell was affected early. He became particularly sensitive to perfumes, hair products, etc., and would rant about how he couldn't stand the smell of any kind of product including unscented soap. Food smells didn't seem to bother him, but I don't know how he is now three years later after our separation.
CP
December 05, 2012 02:18PM
I remember my mother used to call me at work all freaked out over hypersenativity smell for things like oil. Cleaning fluids bothered her in her later years even though she was huge lysol fan when we were kids.
December 07, 2012 01:39AM
My husband smells things that I don't smell....and I am very sensitive to smells.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login