Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Did something that really felt good!!!!!!

Posted by mikee 
Did something that really felt good!!!!!!
November 16, 2012 08:32PM
O.K. watch where you take that.

A very close friend ask me to help with the Salvation Army's Empty Bowl program (she's one of the people I told you about that supports us like family) Reluctantly, I went. She picked me up and took me to a local ceramic's distributor. Prior to HD I did some art work. I was a woodturner. Went to work every day to pay the bills and stayed in the shop till nine or after. My wife loved it........

After arriving I was given the opportunity to sit at the wheel and throw bowls. It was about as wonderous as finding out what was wrong when diagnosed. Being a little humble (no laughing), I threw about six on the first round.......it was better than a week of therapy.......Of course I'm concerned they will look at me like......there's nothing wrong with him........

This week I threw eleven.......

I encourage anyone with HD or not to try something artsy. If you do nothing else toss it..... It is really a relief and don't forget exercise.....ask Will.

Mike
Re: Did something that really felt good!!!!!!
November 17, 2012 04:33AM
Mike, I did take a pottery class when I first realized I had HD. It was great. The only thing--it was physically a lot more demanding than I realized it would be. If I had the strength to continue, I would have. I am noticing that my right side of my body is quite weak, progressively so. And my left brain language skills are going--I have always been word-oriented and a writer. Now that that is going, I notice my right brain visual skills and interests have not declined. Neither has the left side of my body. So doing art can be a very good thing for someone with Huntington's.

Margie
November 17, 2012 11:37AM
Mike, I'm so excited for you, you not only get to do something creative but you get to help others while you do it! Nothing better than the feeling of contributing something, lending a helping hand and getting your hands working.
Art is a powerful medium to get your feelings out...keep it up!!

Take care,

Carla
November 17, 2012 12:44PM
Thats great smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login