Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Where to donate money for research?

Posted by Concerned partner 
Where to donate money for research?
November 16, 2012 05:55PM
Let me start me start by saying that I am in Canada.

So far my family, ex-spouse diagnoised with CAG 41 (age 58) and living on his own successfully but not working for a few years now, and my two daughters in their late twenties. I have decided that in replacement of Christmas gifts I would like to donate to research for HD and Breast Cancer ( I am a BC survivor). My daughters are at risk for both at risk for both diseases. Right now both of my daughters have good paying jobs after completing University degrees and are not really at need for more stuff.

Can someone. perhaps Marsha give me guidance as to where I should donate my Christmas money to be sure that it goes towards research, knowing that the research community is International. More than anything I want to save my daughters from HD. I really want my money to go to research for HD, not community supports.

Concerned
Re: Where to donate money for research?
November 16, 2012 08:20PM
The research community (and the universities that host the research efforts) are always looking for more funding.

As an HDSA board member I would be neglecting my duty to offer that you can make a donation to research through HDSA by making sure that the check says "for research" on it.

The Hereditary Disease Foundation also accepts direct donations for research.

Other than those two there are several smaller foundations that accept donations that focus on just research.

If you are talking about a significant amount of money you might get the attention of a particular researcher. I know some donors get a personal updates from the head researcher.

Are you interested contributing to a particular type of research?

Steve
Coffee and computer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login